From indie to mainstream

I'm an indie filmmaker and I'm preparing to shoot an independent documentary. This will be a low budget film, but I want it to be really well made (good camera work, decent editing and some nice 3D/compositing effects). The reference for me is movie "Collapse", I really like the way it was shot and edited.

Now for the questions (again, let's take the movie Collapse as a reference).

Supposing I've finished my film. Let's pretend, that it is realy good and touches some vital matters concerning US today. Now:

a) I can sell it via my website. What amount of copies could be typically sold that way in US?

b) I can try to look for a distributing company to attend my movie. Providing that my film is well made (but anyway the topic is not any Paris Hilton romance but "underground", like the "Collapse"), what are the chances of finding any company willing to deal with it? What amount of copies could be sold via such "official" distribution on DVD or whatever medium?

c) Are there any television channels in US broadcasting docs? What could be the income from such a source?

d) Is there ANY chance of distribution in cimemas?

f) What could be the total income that such a film can generate from various sources?

My questions come from visiting Pierre Rehov's site (http://www.pierrerehov.com/). It says, that the cost of his typical doc to make is from 150.000 to 250.000 USD. Do you think that his films, which are not "mainstream" in any way (are distributed on DVDs and I guess sometimes showed on various TV stations), earn that amount of money? So is the level of 200.000-400.000 dollars of revenue possible for a doc?

My advice would be to keep it super low budget if you can (below 10,000) and then release the thing for free on Youtube. You could then make cash from sponsorship, website revenue, downloadable extras deals and DVD sales. If you can take a short term income hit in return for increased exposure from a potentially viral film it might be a good idea.

Whatever you think of their politics, even if you hate them, Alex Jones and Jason Bermas etc have pioneered this revenue model and shown it can be successful.

I'm aware that for every success story using this method there are 99 failiures, but I still think it's worth considering. It only becomes feasible if you keep things micro-budget, though. I'm a newb at this but this is the route I'm going to take.

Last edited:
Back