Wide lens for Rebel t2i

I've jumped ship. I just sold my Sony VX2100, so that I can afford to buy the Rebel t2i. This was a rather scary move for me, but logic is telling me it was a common-sense decision.

Anyway, I'm completely new to DSLR. First issue I'd like to figure out -- lenses. I totally don't understand them. The camera I'm purchasing comes bundled with an 18-55mm lens. The shoot I have planned, I know for sure that I'm going to need a good wide-angle. As I understand it, 28mm is wide. 20mm is ultra-wide.

But the regular old lens that comes bundled is 18-55? Wouldn't that give it a range wider than ultra-wide? Of course, I'm missing something; there's something I don't get. Could someone please explain to me what I it is I've missed in this equation?

Also, at the time being, I only plan to purchase a good wide lens, and some decent filters. But maybe there's something I haven't thought of. Is there any essential element that a miniDV convert like myself wouldn't have thought of? For the shoot I have planned, I have no need whatsoever for any macro.

The t2i has a jack for an external mic. I'm going to test how it sounds with a boot that converts XLR to mini-jack. I think that should work fine, but if not, I'm open to the idea of buying a digital audio recorder.

Even on my tight budget, I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a wide lens. Heck, of course I'd prefer a nice brand-name lens, but there are generics for not much at all.

yes, u need a wide lens. u need a wide lens bc u have a certain shot you want to get. but u dont know which mm will correspond to what you have in ur mind. (this is what i understood from ur original post, correct me if im wrong.)

so as such, im saying check out the lens u get with ur kit first, if it is wide enough for you then theres no prob. if not, then start looking for a wider one.

the only difference is a prime will be cripser than a zoom. though, zooms r not bad at all. so if u find with ur kit lens that the shot is wide enough but not crisp enough, then get an equivlent prime.

Crop Sensor

Cracker Funk, to answer your question about the seeming extreme wideness of the lens, you should know about the different sensor sizes that Canon DSLR's have. Canon offers full-frame, 1.3x, and 1.6x size sensors. The 1.3x and 1.6x are 1.3 times and 1.6 times smaller than a full frame sensor (35mm size).

The Canon Rebel t21 has a 1.6x sensor. this means that if you put a 100mm lens on it, it is effectively using 1.6 times that length, so 160mm. So that 18-55mm lens is actually going to be more like 29mm-88mm.

Here are a couple websites to help familiarize yourself with the concepts:
General concept: http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/1-6x.htm
Pros and Cons of Crop Sensors: http://kwc.org/blog/archives/2006/2006-03-06.ef_versus_efs.html

FYI -- anyone considering a t2i -- though there is a jack for an external mic, there is no jack for headphones. It has digital audio/video out, so I suppose I could connect it to a monitor, and connect headphones to that, but that's idiotic. Looks like we'll be using a portable digital audio recorder.

From what I read the cm comes with an AV out.. so you should be able to connect some device like http://www.expandore.com/product/add/BeachTek/SVU2.htm into which you can plug your headphones. This is what I have on my 35mm adapter rig, even though I do have a headphone out, I like the blinky lights (plus more volume control)

Whops, I read wrong. It has video out, audio out is via HDMI.

What is the PURPOSE of your headphones, obviously to monitor your sound input, but that can be done prior to input to the camera (does the camera have any audio metering?)

Last edited:
From what I read the cm comes with an AV out.. so you should be able to connect some device like http://www.expandore.com/product/add/BeachTek/SVU2.htm into which you can plug your headphones. This is what I have on my 35mm adapter rig, even though I do have a headphone out, I like the blinky lights (plus more volume control)

Whops, I read wrong. It has video out, audio out is via HDMI.

What is the PURPOSE of your headphones, obviously to monitor your sound input, but that can be done prior to input to the camera (does the camera have any audio metering?)

That, sir, is a darned-good idea. I think what I need is this:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...GyIpLolAe6nMzYBw&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p

Monitor the audio on the way in. Thanks!

try this.. I dont know that the one you pointed at has headphone OUT along with mic out to the cam..

http://www.beachtek.com/dxaslr.html

FYI: I believe it is best to monitor your recorders output, rather than the input. If your camera can at least SHOW you that your not overloading the input and\or are getting signal than monitor the preamp is better than no monitoring, but still best if you can get to that output from the camera.

Last edited:
To the original question, my default lens is a 28mm. I use it more than a 50MM. I think 28 will be plenty wide for almost anything you need. I currently covet one of the really nice super wides that will get down to the 14mm range with almost no fisheye. Unfortunately they are > $1000

Gonzo, (im a noob to glass)
Do you default to a 28mm because your camera has some crop factor, or you find you need to get more in the shot?

I just like the look of the Nikkor 28mm we use (and the Pentax 28mm I use on my still camera). I shoot virtually my masters with that 28. Typically shoot medium closeups and cowboys with a 50 (sometimes an 85), and then the 135 for ECUs.

cool, I'm building up my primes for use with my 35mm adapter.. I have a 28, 35, 50, 135, and 200. I have an 80 \ 200 zoom, but am missing that coveted 80mm prime ;) Now, if I could just do something great with them ;) its rained every weekend since I got the adapter!

I'm in post on my film, so not shooting right now, but I have put away the digital still camera, and busted out the 25 year old Pentax K1000. Probably shot 6 roles of film in the past week. Have a model coming this saturday, and another next saturday for some sessions.

Boy, was I wrong. I don't need real wide. The stock 18-55mm that came with the camera is plenty wide. Googling has told me that this isn't a particularly good lens, and that I can get much better quality with better lenses, but with my budgetary constraints, and the fact that I'm a complete noob with DSLR's, I'm pretty damn satisfied with the test images I gathered this afternoon.

I think I'm gonna shoot the whole darn movie with this stock lens!!!

When time and money allow me to explore better lenses, I'll remember what you said about the 28, Gonzo. And, I'm gonna check out those other audio lines you mentioned, wheatgrinder. Thanks!

Cracker Funk, to answer your question about the seeming extreme wideness of the lens, you should know about the different sensor sizes that Canon DSLR's have. Canon offers full-frame, 1.3x, and 1.6x size sensors. The 1.3x and 1.6x are 1.3 times and 1.6 times smaller than a full frame sensor (35mm size).

The Canon Rebel t21 has a 1.6x sensor. this means that if you put a 100mm lens on it, it is effectively using 1.6 times that length, so 160mm. So that 18-55mm lens is actually going to be more like 29mm-88mm.

Here are a couple websites to help familiarize yourself with the concepts:
General concept: http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/1-6x.htm
Pros and Cons of Crop Sensors: http://kwc.org/blog/archives/2006/2006-03-06.ef_versus_efs.html

When I first read this, I was like, "whoah, that's way too advanced for me, I don't have any clue what you're talking about!" I'm still nowhere near up to speed, but I've learned that there are lenses made specifically for this 1.6 subset of a camera.

Both of the websites you mentioned talk about EF-S lenses. That's what came bundled with my camera, so thankfully, my 18-55 is actually 18-55. In the future, I'll likely want to use an EF lens, so it's good that I'll know to do the math for effective conversion. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back