• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Face Value

This isn't the final version just yet, some tweaking involved.

This is an edit of my "Full Version" Delivery Day, but the editing ended up telling it's own story, which I've titled "Face Value". There isn't any new visual content, other than how it it's been edited, but much of the sound (room tones, sound effects, ect) have been redone with an external mic, and I'd be interested to hear what type of difference the sound makes(no dialogue though :)

I'm trying to fix the "flickering" at the top of the screen (I'm aware of it :))-using a matte cut the end off the left hand side-so this is the "unmatted" version (I asked a Q in the post prod thread about this)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUHojrum2KI

Embedded is below (I didn't know how to "edit" a post and embed it ;)

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vUHojrum2KI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vUHojrum2KI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

That's a little easier :)

congrats on the new mic!

I dont know a lot of about the technical aspects of sound but generally i can say that the sound in the video, even though it is clearer now, sounds a little noisy. I dont know what needs to be done but i suppose something along the lines of recording in sound proof room or using other sounds that sound like what you are trying to convey but are not. For example, the finger taps dont have to be recorded finger taps. Record something else that is clearer and sounds like it.

Oh and visit freesound.org some good resources there.

And congrats on the new edit, you are way more active about your passion than i am at the moment!

Later!

Some of the "noise" you hear is actually deliberate (IE the living room has a heating fan going, there's a bathroom fan going on in the bathroom, ect) I am trying to get some room sound going in the film-the "background' noise was deliberate-maybe I just didn't do a good enough job and needs some tweaking :) (with the exception of the outdoor and library scenes, I deleted the "camera" sound and re-recorded the rooms on the mic.

Thanks for the tips on stuff like the finger taps. Unfortunately I don't have access to a soundproof room-but thanks for the link! I'll check it out, and it might help clean more sound effects up :)

Thanks for the feedback as well! This is pretty close to what I want, though I may re-enter some of the original shots and try and record in a different format :)

I will first start by say I really liked it. Watched it twice to first see what it was all about and I kind of couldn't wait to see again but this time to find issues.

Scene @ :36 -> :52. Some might not like the shot set up because of the left of the screen. But for some reason I really liked it. It's unique and had good depth of field.

I didn't like the continuity of shot @ :52 -> :54. Felt you could have let the shot continue on @ :52 a bit longer because character is at one end of the house and then at the other end.

:54 a little bit more light would have worked better. But in a continuity sense it still works. BUT, not going into scene @ 1:09.

Not sure if sound issue or not @ 2:27. Hear ambient sound and then none. But it occurs after character shrugs shoulders so maybe you meant to do that or might even get away with it.

Is there thunder in the back ground, I hear something?

@ 3:16 character wraps a scarf around neck. @ 3:18 it dangles.

@ 4:03 character looks at book. @ 4:05 it looks like the character removes the same book off the shelf.

@ 4:34 and 4:42 there is rain on the lens and to me that is no bueno. And then @ 4:48 there is no rain on the lens (which looks better).

@ 5:05 character has make up on the mask. I would have liked to have seen that transition of application. Because early in the film it looks like no make up.

I REALLY like the slow motion -> fade to white transition @ 5:15 -> 5:19

Only actor mistake - @ 5:35 character motions first to remove glove which they never wanted to do.

I REALLY like the B/W removal of the face and then put on the new one.

With all this info I really like what you have done. I feel that the story was delivered without one bit of dialogue. I enjoyed the look of the film too. The blankness and dullness of the set worked with the character/mask concept. Sound was done well thus far. Ambient sound will help and think about putting thunder into the sound effects (take the time to think where to place it through out). Also rain hitting the ground/roof/windows might help with the rain on the lens a bit (or a lot). But sound was good and with ambient sound it could help with the volume levels of what you have now. Most of the framing of shots I did not mind. I'm sure I could hit you harder on them but since I like it I was able to bypass it. Acting was good besides that one slip which most won't even see, especially if you add more sound in it.

Excellent job.

Wow, thanks for the detailed breakdown!

I'll probably print this up and take a look at it to see what time vs points you're referring to exactly.

I only just realized I could render in DV and still import to youtube(this version was done as a wmv, so that's why pic quality may not be the best).

I like the idea of the rain and thunder, that's something I hadn't thought of. I'm going to see what I can add in addition-the challenge is to add enough without being distracting :)

As far as the no dialogue, I wanted to do something different, using no music or dialogue. What I am learning is that music/dialogue can sometimes mask (pun intended) stuff in the background in a positive manner. I wanted to see how challenging it would be to do just what I did(and it is a challenge, but an enjoyable one-and I've learned to appreciate what music does. I am starting photography on a second short with the character, but I will be using music-that's a challenge too, I'm doing it all in mirrors :))

I'm happy to hear you have enjoyed it. I like the fact it's something "different", and people who have watched it have all had very interesting comments on it.

The fact you watched it a second time and broke it down, well, I thank you very much for that-it helps out quite a bit.

I am currently re-editing with my original DV footage with the external mic sound and plan to re-render in DV-hopefully give some more optimal results. Thanks again! :)

Oh, I don't mind, Graeme. Being the insipration for a film would feel pretty good. I have a contract right here if you were to pursue a sequel....just a little chat about royalties, and a thousand dollar upfront-I mean*cough*-let's just have a little chat over here...:D

Seriously, I take that as a big compliment, Graeme. :) It's been fun doing it, but WOW have I learned how hard to to something without a soundtrack or dialogue! Just think, my next project involves an empty closed down building(I'm putting music with that one though!)

So how do I go "viral" and have millions viewing it and movie studios banging down my door with huge contracts for a feature film? ;)

Was cool to see it with some sound, and interesting to consider the acquisition of the sounds.

It’s nose to the old grindstone growth, experience and progress -and that should be recognized and congratulated. (Good job)

I think a point comes when what is strived for might be divided by what is , and can equal what might be.

From what I personally get from your clip; I feel that equation has run its course, and it’s time for you to experiment and treat a copy of the work as colors set to music.

Experimentally push preconception out of the nest and see where it takes us.

When you do, I’m confident you’ll earn a kind of free form creative trust in what you can never really predict, but will come to know is always there, image and music combined into something greater that forms a synthesis between itself and whoever sees and hears it, an invocation and imparting of something between feeling and meaning.

You can learn and perfect by repetition, but when it’s time to grow, it’s time to grow.

I can say (And have) “I like this and dislike that.” and/or "I would do this like this and that like that”, but I feel there is also a time to say "This next 'set it to music' phase is ultimately what I recognize in your clip as calling to you in its absence." , and that time is now.

-Thanks-

There's alot I get out of your post, Buddy, and I thank you for it :).

Funny, in some ways you were reading my mind. I might try a version of this to music, just to see what what it's like. As I said, my next short WILL have music, I decided that when I started on it. So in that sense I am pushing forward on it.

I too catch the "learn and repeat" idea. And in the sense of calling(of sorts), I have been thinking after this last round of suggestions-this is close to being finished. I've got a lot of feedback, and I'm putting that into the final edit I am currently working on. As I get from the post, part of it is "You've worked with what you have, now you kind of have to let it fly. Doing it with music may be an interesting idea on a copy of it, but for all intents, the project is telling me "you're reaching the end. Take it to the next level(getting it out there) and see where it goes."

I know I am HORRIBLE for going outside of a comfort zone, yet in order to grow and learn in film, one has to do just that. I've been wanting to do this current short I'm working on for a while, the one with mirrors. My next short after that will be dialogue. I have a story I wrote awhile ago I'd like to put as a screen play with "gasp" actual talking talent! I still plan to play with copies of this version, like music, but I am trying to stretch out as I see Face Value coming to a close and being prepared to be unleashed on unsuspecting public ;) Thanks for your feedback on this.

Going "public"-that's going to be an experience :)

i liked it,but i kept waiting for her to put on a hockey mask & go on a killing spree..........all kidding aside,if you load the audio in focusrite saffire/cubase le=$200.00,you can easily chop out bad room noise & boost/compress only the cool sounds like ,newspaper ruffling,doors opening,coffee makers,breathing inside the mask{like jason} & the ducks at the pond..........a little compression on the right audio bits does wonders....you can use low budget audio,but it really,really needs attention in editing/effects...
the saffire has great preamps......cheap cameras do not.....i would do all the audio for that kind of short completely separate with a shure sm58/saffire...........but your audio is not horrible or anything.......i loved your film & i think you migt like "madame butterfly" on youtube......{japanese silent film}............i think you made a great silent film......:yes:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcsZox8ocRI

i liked it,but i kept waiting for her to put on a hockey mask & go on a killing spree..........all kidding aside,if you load the audio in focusrite saffire/cubase le=$200.00,you can easily chop out bad room noise & boost/compress only the cool sounds like ,newspaper ruffling,doors opening,coffee makers,breathing inside the mask{like jason} & the ducks at the pond..........a little compression on the right audio bits does wonders....you can use low budget audio,but it really,really needs attention in editing/effects...
the saffire has great preamps......cheap cameras do not.....i would do all the audio for that kind of short completely separate with a shure sm58/saffire...........but your audio is not horrible or anything.......i loved your film & i think you migt like "madame butterfly" on youtube......{japanese silent film}............i think you made a great silent film......:yes:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcsZox8ocRI

I used a Shure C680 Cardioid Dynamic for this latest one(the earlier versions were done with the camera mic, in this case a Canon 930 zr Camcorder-the sound is better in this version). I actually re-recorded the effects, roomtones, ect. I only recently learned about using hi/lopass on the audio, which I'm currently working on the redit. Also, the version was rendered in wmv format(don't ask lol). I am going to re-render the original footage in DV format-I think some of the audio issues will lessen there too, but I will check out focusrite. I know I would love to get Adobe Audition, I've worked with it before (not my own, in school)and loved being able to "pick apart" the sound, but it's expensive-focusrite may be a solution.

Funny you mention Madame Butterfly-I do love the story, haven't seen it in ages, I'll have to check it again! As for the mask stuff-it's interesting: Those who have reviewed this and earlier versions, some of them didn't know what to expect with the mask-because we associate masks with horror films. I'm a fan of all things masks, and I am writing a research book on masks in modern culture. I must remove the "stigma" of masks only being in horror!:lol:

Thanks for the feedback. I enjoyed making this, and I also learned how much even background music can "mask" (ha) some sound issues. I just wanted to see what it would be like to do a film without dialogue or music, just ambivent sounds. It's harder than it looks! :)

I used a Shure C680 Cardioid Dynamic for this latest one(the earlier versions were done with the camera mic, in this case a Canon 930 zr Camcorder-the sound is better in this version). I actually re-recorded the effects, roomtones, ect. I only recently learned about using hi/lopass on the audio, which I'm currently working on the redit. Also, the version was rendered in wmv format(don't ask lol). I am going to re-render the original footage in DV format-I think some of the audio issues will lessen there too, but I will check out focusrite. I know I would love to get Adobe Audition, I've worked with it before (not my own, in school)and loved being able to "pick apart" the sound, but it's expensive-focusrite may be a solution.

Funny you mention Madame Butterfly-I do love the story, haven't seen it in ages, I'll have to check it again! As for the mask stuff-it's interesting: Those who have reviewed this and earlier versions, some of them didn't know what to expect with the mask-because we associate masks with horror films. I'm a fan of all things masks, and I am writing a research book on masks in modern culture. I must remove the "stigma" of masks only being in horror!:lol:

Thanks for the feedback. I enjoyed making this, and I also learned how much even background music can "mask" (ha) some sound issues. I just wanted to see what it would be like to do a film without dialogue or music, just ambivent sounds. It's harder than it looks! :)[/QUob
you mean an akg c680........?

Thanks for the feedback. I enjoyed making this, and I also learned how much even background music can "mask" (ha) some sound issues. I just wanted to see what it would be like to do a film without dialogue or music, just ambivent sounds. It's harder than it looks! :)[/QUob
you mean an akg c680........?

:blush:

Sorry Shure C608, not 680 LOL

Back