• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Music Programs?

Is there some kind of free (or not) software that you can get to make and edit music on a computer without having any instruments?

Thanks

You're totally barking up the wrong tree. There are a few composers on these boards, but for the most part, we are people who work with cameras and stuff.

You're going to want to look into MIDI sequencing. There are TONS of forums and bulletin boards for that. Also, you might just wanna stop by your local musician store. Guitar Center. You're going to have to spend money, but not much to get started. You don't need an instrument. There are softsynths and virtual instruments for that.

A lot of people start out with the program REASON, which has a nice Virtual Analogue synth in version 4, as well as many sampled sounds and a sequencer/recorder.

If you have a Mac, you could get LOGIC and really crank out some nice tracks. I have SONAR. Like LOGIC it is a sequencer/hard disk recorder, with many effects and some basic instruments. Programs like these are known as DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations). They run several hundred bucks for the full versions, but once you get one, you can add "instruments" to them. One of the coolest sound programs you can get would be OMNISPHERE. I don't think you can run it without a DAW, but OMNISPHERE is only about $500 and has loads of great sounds, both synthetic and natural.

If you don't have money, you can certainly find many free instruments. Here's a good LINK to check out. Lots of freebies demoed on there. You should really get a USB keyboard, so you can use it to control your computer instruments.

What Scoopicman said!

If midi + midi instruments seems like something you could work with, I'd recommend Cockos 'Reaper' as a DAW. The free version is unlimited, and just nags you to buy it when you start to run it.

It's very similar to Cubase (a popular audio and midi sequencer a-la Sonar/Logic) but ridiculously cheap yet fantastically powerful. Save your money for VSTinstruments that you can run within a program like this.
There's loads of free ones out there, but the great ones tend to be expensive.

Omnisphere is utterly mindblowing. But of course, it's on the pricey side.

Reason is a great stand along program that tends to be associated with dance-orientated music, though it's definately not limited to that genre. I'm sure the company who make it still give away the old "REBIRTH" for free, might be worth a shot.

The world of 'Virtual Instruments' and hosts is simply huge. Have fun :lol:

I've not used it, but Sony's (discontinued as of December) Cinescore is a program that generates music for film projects which you then enhance and edit depending on your project's needs. Since it's discontinued you might be able to find it cheaply.

all right.. you want easy fast music. SONY ACID is what you want. (or some other loop based thing) lots of orchestral loops and what not available. download \ free. join freesound.org for an endless supply of loop and movie sounds..

If you can WRITE music with notes and stuff, look into a software sequencer with scoring. Cubase, JAZZ++ or somit else..

Another approach is videocopilot proscores. which is a hybrid approach. Prerecorded tracks that you can mix and match into unique and cool ways.
http://www.videocopilot.net/products/proscores/
which you can use right in your NLE.

I'll throw in a vote for Logic (if you have a Mac). It lets you pull your video track into the sequencer, making it great for scoring films.

I started with Logic Express and graduated to Logic Studio (fantastic collection of included instruments) when I wrote the score for Adam Funn.

i use cubase, a popular daw is fl studio you can compose music with your mouse, wavosaur is free, reaper is also good theres too many to name lol. if you want to save some trouble my email is waisone1504@yahoo.com i produce mostly hip hop if your interested you could use my music free.

Ableton could be an excellent choice. It has a free 30 days demo that's fully functional. I personally use Ableton and Logic for creating my background music. Logic may be a bit over the top for what you need but Ableton is worth the try.

Back