Public Access

I co-produced a feature length documentary that we are trying to gain an audience for. We shot it as students on a microbudge and our goal has never been to make money so we have sent out free dvds and put it on the internet free. Last year we tried the festival circuit (smaller festivals) with no luck. It is 70 minutes, an awkward length for programming.

Anyway, I live in a small town in Central Massachusetts and I contacted the cultural commissioner to try to organize a small film event to screen it and work of any other filmmakers in the area. Instead, I was put in touch with someone in charge at the public access station and he wants to air our documentary with an interview with myself and the co-director. This is the kind of station that has a few regular programs made by locals (cooking shows/political commentary) and then also airs school plays, spelling bees, and city council meetings.

Obviously no harm in having or work shown on public access television (right?). But can anything good really come of this or is it pointless?

www.aliveandwellandkicking.com

If you are looking to list on IMDB (or haven't already), it might help you get a listing.

There's nothing wrong with public television, even if most of it is super low budget. From the looks of it your doc will stand out to anyone watching. :)

thanks! It is a pretty lo-fi channel, the interview part is what worries me most :)

I am trying to get a screening at several local theaters and also the Cornell Cinema in Ithaca, NY where I went to school (even if I have to pay for rental) but in the mean time hopefully this might get a little bit of interest.

Its tough... we put it online thinking people would simply watch it but it hasn't been the case. Since its not HD and beautiful it doesn't seem to grab attention right away and make people think it is worth it.

I think any exposure-be it 1 person or 1 million, is good. Publc Access is a great way to get people to see it who might not otherwise see it. All it takes is for one person to see it that can can do something with it. Even if not, I think it's nice to see your stuff "on TV" :)

Back