Flip Cam

I apologize if the following question has been discussed before. I want to purchase a cheap camera to film shorts. I just want to gain directing experience. Will a flip cam do? I will edit these shorts in final cut on my Macbook Pro.

Cheers,

It's possible.

The flip has no manual controls for white balance, shutter or iris. These are key components to controlling how a camera records an image and the Flip won't provide them for you.

But with enough careful preparation and lighting of your scenes you can get good images.

The Flip is almost weightless, too, so handheld shots are extremely jerky and hard to control. You'll probably want to use a tripod or some other stabilizing device.

The microphone on the Flip is terrible for capturing decent sound, so you'll want to consider an external audio recorder (unless your films are going to be silent or with no dialog).

I own a flip camera. Easy camera to work with/film/download and edit. Easy enough to upload anywhere.

What you do need though is a tripod for all shots. It has camera shake when you hold it. The zoom is pretty lame so most of your shots will be in the standard.
That being said I think it s a great cheap way to get the jist of it. You still have to plan/film/edit and I think its a good learner.

I didn't know you could edit it on anything other than their own editing. I don't know how you would download your own music though - they have their own music or you go online for music BUT if you wanted to record yourself and narrate over a scene or record your own music I don't know how you could edit that together or if you could.

If you go on youtube you can check them out. Also their hd seems better than some others.

Verizon was giving the Flip video out free several mos ago. When you signed up with them and paid your bill on time for two mos in a row - they sent you a Flip.

I would invest the money in it knowing what I do about it. I think its a great pocket camera just to have around for the 'you never know' moments.

They seem to run from 150-200 regular price.

If that Kodak works fine then your set.

Back