Suggestions for a New Camera Set-Up and Post-Production Equipment

I have been shooting short films (nothing too fancy) for a few years now with nothing but an old 3CCD camcorder and Sony Vegas.

I am looking to up my game and start shooting more "professional-looking" shorts with higher levels of production.

What camera would you recommend I look into? I've been hearing a lot about these HDSLRs, especially the 5D, 7D or 550D. I've also been told to look into HD camcorders paired with 35mm lens adapters such as a HV20 & Brevis. Opinions or suggestions?

Also, what would you suggest as some high quality post-production tools & programs?

Keep in mind, I only have a very low budget, so please recommend equipment that you believe would be the best value/quality for its particular price range.

Thanks in advance, guys! :)

Welcome to indietalk!

I’m not a fan of the lens adaptors and I don’t feel those DSLR
cameras are made to shoot movies. So my advice isn’t going
to be what you want. The lens is very important and both of
those options allow you to use a much better lens. But a much
better lens is going to be expensive.

You can use that old 3CCD camera to shoot more professional
looking shorts. Lighting and sound can always be improved and you
will be amazed at how professional your shorts will look (and
sound) when you put more effort into those two aspects of making a
movie.

However, you can search the forums here for several discussions on
lens adapters and the use of DSLR cameras. There are many fans
of using both who post here.

The higher quality post production tools and programs are Final
Cut, Adobe Premiere/After Effects and Avid for editing. Pro Tools,
Logic Pro, Digital Performer and Sonar.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

I'm not discounting the importance of lighting and sound in film; but I guess what I want to do is give my videos that "film" look, and as far as I know, I just can't achieve this on my old camcorder.

As far as my budget is concerned, either HDSLRs or lens adapters are the best way I can achieve this at the moment - at least until I'm out of university and making bigger money.

If I'm wrong, please, by all means correct me!

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

I'm not discounting the importance of lighting and sound in film; but I guess what I want to do is give my videos that "film" look, and as far as I know, I just can't achieve this on my old camcorder.

As far as my budget is concerned, either HDSLRs or lens adapters are the best way I can achieve this at the moment - at least until I'm out of university and making bigger money.

If I'm wrong, please, by all means correct me!

I don't think you're wrong. You have a specific aesthetic you feel
you need for a more professional look and a prime lens will get
you closer to that. If you can afford a new camera with a lens
adaptor and a good prime lens or a SDLR camera with a good
lens that could be an option for you. And I apologize for giving
you the impression I thought you were discounting the importance
of lighting and sound. that wasn't my intent. Sometimes movie
makers who want a more professional looking product aren't
lighting on a professional level and are hoping that just using
HD and prime lens will do it.

As I said, I'm not the right person to listen to. I don't like the
DSLR cameras for movie making and I don't like the lens adapters.
I also don't think the "film look" is important. For me, the no
budget way to get a more professional looking movie is to get
more lighting equipment.

But there are many filmmakers here who will give you the advice
you need on DSLR's and lens adaptors.

Thank you for the advice, directorik. Your help's been much appreciated. You're right - there is a particular aesthetic I would like to shoot my films with, and of course, aesthetics usually come down to personal taste. Believe me though, I won't forget good lighting and sound!

So, I have a question directed at anyone, and this might be a stupid question, but seeing as they roughly come to the same price - what are the advantages of shooting on a HDSLR as opposed to a handycam with an adapter attached and which would you recommend more?

Well, I did a little of my own research and I'm pretty sure most people prefer HDSLRs over the handycam-with-adapter set-up. Unless, that is, you need to record live events (long roll times).

So, I've been trying to narrow down my choice and it seems that the Canons (5D MKII, 7D, and 550D) are generally more highly preferred. Would I be mistaken?

Obviously, I am leaning towards the 550D because it is the cheapest of the three. According to several online stores, I found that there's a $700AUD price difference between the 7D and 550D. That's pretty big. What are the main points of difference between the 550D and the other, more expensive Canons?

I'm no expert but I see a lot more videos online shot with the 7D or 5D than the other one you mentioned.

I myself use a consumer HD camera with the 35mm adapter and I like. But I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't tempted by the ease of the DLSRs. Shooting upside down and backwards is something I'm still getting used to.

Rik is right, though that you should try and figure a couple good prime lenses into your cost. That's probably going to be at least 700 for 2, a 50mm f/1.4 and a 28mm f/2.8.

And don't forget about sound! Have you figured any of that into your costs?

Thanks for the help, Dreadylocks!

I'm no expert but I see a lot more videos online shot with the 7D or 5D than the other one you mentioned.

I think that's because the 550D/T2i is relatively newer than the others - it was only released late February/early March of this year.

I myself use a consumer HD camera with the 35mm adapter and I like. But I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't tempted by the ease of the DLSRs. Shooting upside down and backwards is something I'm still getting used to.

Personally, seeing as the price of a DSLR with a couple of prime lenses will cost about the same amount as a good HD camcorder with a quality 35mm lens adapter plus lenses, the DSLR comes out on top of the cumbersome camcorder-adapter combination.

And don't forget about sound! Have you figured any of that into your costs?

I have, but at the moment my focus is mainly on which camera I should look to be getting...

Back