Canon T2i or Canon HF S20?

So I've broken this down to 2 cameras. The HF S20, and T2i, both by Canon. I am looking at making short films, but I also want that film look. I can edit the colors and all in post production, but I dont know which to pick. The T2i is superb at recording videos, the quality is very close to hollywood movies. Dont know if the HF S20's is though. But I know it also has a good quality. So my question to you film makers is, which do you choose to make your films look as professional as possible?

Thanks!

I've not used either, but I have recently gone through the same struggle (although I was checking the T2i against the HF S100, but it's essentially the same).

It all depends on what you want specifically. Here's what I know about the T2i off the top of my head; it only allows recording in 24p when you're shooting full HD (1920x1080), and will only shoot in 60p when you're in 1280x720. So, that means if you want some of the film look by using 24p and want to shoot in 60p for some nice slow-motion shots, you're pretty much screwed because the two resolutions don't match up and the final result would look odd.

Also, its "jello effect" (aka "rolling shutter") is simply awful. All you have to do is move the camera a little too fast, and everything in frame looks jiggly. This is because its CMOS sensor isn't quite as nice as the 7D or 5D Mark II. Heck, even the Canon HF S100/HF S20 have less of a jello effect.

So those are two things to take into consideration; are you able to cope with the different frame rates at different resolutions? Are you able to somehow evade the jello effect?

Also take this into consideration; lenses. The stock lens on the T2i is very cheap, and other lenses cost almost as much as the T2i itself (some even close to $2,000). Of course this applies to any camera you buy; with the Canon HF S20 you'd have to buy a 35mm DOF adapter to use any other lenses, so that would add even more cost. So this is something you can't avoid no matter what camera you end up buying. But the lens on the HF S20 already has some decent DOF ability, and isn't like the T2i's stock lens.

So, ultimately, it just depends on what you feel you can work around and with. When I made my final decision, I decided to go with the HF S100. It's great for what I need, and I've seen some amazing videos created with it. The HF S20 is pretty much the same camera, but lacks some of the features the S100 model has.

Also; the film look you want isn't going to be achieved by just using the camera itself. It takes a lot of work to achieve that look, although the T2i is definitely a good tool to help get that look. Just keep in mind that everything is a factor; lighting, make up, sound, color, acting...the camera is just a tool, much like a microphone and any light set up. Individually, they're almost useless (with the exception of a camera), but together they can create an excellent story people will want to see in theaters.

Sorry for the long post. Good luck with your decision!

No, they all use CMOS sensors, so all DSLRs will have it (and most HD camcorders). However, if you're willing to spend some extra money you can remove the worst of the effects with software plugins for things like After Effects. I've not used this, but it looks to be fairly promising: NewBlue Video Essentials

Good luck!

Back