• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

spotting session

I'm getting together with the composer for a spotting session next weekend for my new feature. I've never done one before; in the past I've either let composers do what they felt was best, used existing music or composed the music myself.

If there are any composers here who are experienced with spotting sessions, can you tell me what you look for from a director? Do you prefer specifics or more generalized notes, or a combination? Anything I should avoid? I want to respect the creative energy offered by a fellow artist, but don't want to seem too vague, either.

Any directors who've gone through this process, I'd welcome your notes as well.

Thanks!

Have a decent idea of what you want (stylistically and the placement/spotting), but be open to the composers ideas.

Most of all you want to be able to communicate the emotional content you are looking for. But remember that the score is supposed to support and enhance, it cannot create what is not already there.

One thing that I have found over and over again is that the director cannot tell me in ten words or less what the film is about - not the plot or story line, but the overall meaning of the film. By that I mean that it can be as simple as saying "it's a romantic comedy" to "it's about the dualism of life." And discuss the characters, that could inspire themes to the composer.

Have your story arch ready so the composer knows what the high - and "low" - points are in the story.

Back