50mm f1.8

Hey,
I use my DSLR (Nikon D5000) to film a thriller, which means it's going to be dark, shot at night-time, not many light sources...
I was thinking of getting a Nikkor 50mm f1.8.
Do you think it's a good choice? I'm a beginner filmmaker, and I don't know the usual focal lenght used (can someone clear that up for me please?). do you think it should affect the shooting much?

Thanks!
Liri

From my limited research (hopefully and expert will chime in)
50mm is a good all around lens, its "wider" than a typical camcorder lens, which is why most of us video freaks want a 50mm adapter.

50mm is also the "Natural focal length" for 35mm film, which means we've come to sorta expect that in our movies.. subconsciously.

Math aside focal length is how much picture you get in the viewfinder.
see these example photos taken from the same exact spot:

28mm

Angleofview_28mm_f4.jpg

50mm

Angleofview_50mm_f4.jpg

70mm

Angleofview_70mm_f4.jpg

If it seems like this is just zooming in, then your partially correct. Zoom lenses have VARIABLE focal lengths, fixed lenses like the 50mm you mentioned have a fixed focal length.

Also if we go lower with the focal length we get a FISH EYE lens..

15mm
Fisheye_lens_room.jpg

Oh, and the f1.8 is a fast lens. Going faster starts costing a LOT of money. Your 1.8 nikor is about $120 new. To get the next fastest a f1.4 your going to spend twice that ($240+). Going on up in price as that number gets smaller, the f1.2 is $700!

Though, for your low light feature, that might be money you have to spend.

As for affecting shooting much. The focal lengh is really about "look" and how much room you have to work with, so its more of a artistic choice. The speed or "f stop" of the lens your using will have MUCH more impact on the actual filming.

Does that help?

see this wiki for more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focal_length

Last edited:
I'd agree 50mm is a good "all around" lens. To shoot anything of consequence though I'd also want a 28mm an 85mm. On my last film we used a 20mm (just a couple of times), a 28mm, a 50mm, an 85mm and a 135mm.

50mm is a 'normal' length lens, and is the closest to the human eyes natural focal length. Films are usualy shot with a variety of lenses, the most common are 28,35,50,85,100,135 and are usualy the base for most lens series.

A f1.8 is considered a 'fast lense' as most hollywood films shoot between a 4 - 8. I own a nikkor 1.8 50mm series E and its a fabulous lens for it's price.

I would try to get a Zoom 24-70 at a 2.8 or under. It will cost more and have the disadv antages of being a zoom, but its the best choice for a beginner.

Crop Factor

Keep in mind that the D5000 has a crop factor of 1.5x. This means that focal length should be multiplied by 1.5 to give the effective focal length. 50mm is a normal lens for 35mm film, but as this sensor is slightly smaller, the 50mm lens will appear as a 75mm lens (which is slightly longer than normal). A ~32mm lens would be "normal" for this camera. The 50mm makes a nice "portrait" lens for a 1.5x crop factor camera, but you may want something wider as well.

Yeah I shot with f1.2 and 2.8 depending on my lighting and camera needs. f1.8 is good but if the 50mm is going to be your primary lens then I would splurg for the 1.4. That said if your going 50mm f1.4 and don't plan on getting a full size sensor camera anytime soon, maybe a splitting that money on a wider lens would be wiser and sticking with the f1.8.

Yes, many stores rent lenses.

In Canada for DSLR lenses the rate is between $15-100 for lenses depending on what you want to get with most under $30 a day (renting for a week is generally significantly cheaper).

Thats great news. I am planning to get myself some camera equipment and didn't exactly plan for more than one lens. Also thanks to all on this thread for the info. regarding lenses to use. Cleared up a lot of things for me...

Keep in mind that the D5000 has a crop factor of 1.5x. This means that focal length should be multiplied by 1.5 to give the effective focal length. 50mm is a normal lens for 35mm film, but as this sensor is slightly smaller, the 50mm lens will appear as a 75mm lens (which is slightly longer than normal). A ~32mm lens would be "normal" for this camera. The 50mm makes a nice "portrait" lens for a 1.5x crop factor camera, but you may want something wider as well.

Hey pete.. you seem to know about this..

So how do I fgure the same thing when using a 35mm adapter on a camcorder? Maybe another way to look at it..

If you had a lens with no markings on it, how would you figure out the Focal Length?

I think my above question is from ignorance.

crop factor is portion of the standards 35mm frame. If I figure that for for my video cameras sensor (1/2.8) then the crop factor would be HUGE.. but when working with the 35mm adapter, the focal plane is NOT the sensor, it is the imaging screen of the adapter. So the crop factor is 1X. Meaning that a 50mm lens will be have the native FOV for that focal length. Now I can CROP the frame back down when I zoom in the video camera into the adapters imaging screen...

Oh, found this simple graphic reference for frame size and FOV
http://www.usa.canon.com/app/html/EFLenses101/focal_length.html

Back