Location issue

So I have begun scouting a location for my first film. Its my first film and I wasn't sure about filming on a certain location. Most of my locations are either on my property or friends property but I have one location that is an old music venue that has been shut down for a few years. I can not find any contact information on the building and I was wondering if any one has run into this issue before. Please help

I'm guessing there are no "for lease" signs or anything like that?

I would think town hall records would be a good start, I would think they could tell you who had it last or who owns it-in which case it's getting in touch with the landowner.

Dumb question(I'm full of them;)). Have you googled the building/land on the internet, might be some leads there?

I found out about a contact for a place I was looking at shooting in(a closed factory)when I discovered that he has given me ocassional rides in town(and managed to find out there wouldn't be any problems with it)!

I will check the internet and the city hall. I didn't see any "for lease" signs. Would it be illegal to film outside of it as long as I don't go inside?

I will check the internet and the city hall. I didn't see any "for lease" signs. Would it be illegal to film outside of it as long as I don't go inside?

errrghhh....

I would really try and get some form of permission, even for outside-if it IS private property and the authorities show up...it could get dicey.

Unless you film it outside of the property boundries-falling into the public property. City Hall would be the first resource, then try internet for second. Sounds like it's an abandoned building, but it could still be private property.

The internet is the coolest thing ever..
go here

http://mycity.houstontx.gov/public

browse and find the location on the map. On the "tool menu" (wrench and screwdriver icon) enable "identify" now just click on the lot and find out the TAX ID. After that, just call city planning and tell them you want to buy the property and need to know who the current owner is. They might not know, but they can tell you where to go...

thanks for the site and all of the advice. I have left the property owner a message and will call them back later next week if I don't hear from them. I hope to start shooting in two months. I will keep everyone posted as the film progresses

Back