Sound in a factory setting

Okay, I don't know if this goes here or elsewhere...

I am going to have access to a closed down factory(empty) to shoot footage. Because of the vast open areas, echos, while they will be part of the sound effects, may need to be controlled.

What low cost ways can I use to at least control how much "echo" I have-I've never shot in such a large, open area before.

Any tips/suggestions?

For a big factory, if might get a bit pricy.

Packing blankets is a good alternative - I don't know how much they cost, though.

You could locally baffle the talent rather than coating the whole wall with that acoustical paneling, too. I.E. a few panels of the stuff closer to the talent might achieve the same result as 20 panels up on the wall.

For a big factory, if might get a bit pricy.

Packing blankets is a good alternative - I don't know how much they cost, though.

You could locally baffle the talent rather than coating the whole wall with that acoustical paneling, too. I.E. a few panels of the stuff closer to the talent might achieve the same result as 20 panels up on the wall.

Yea, I'm on the low cost end of things...I will probably go local, as I won't be using the whole place, probably just mark off a certain section for it, and use blankets or other baffling.

Sounds good,

what kind of mic?

:blush:

I'm not shooting for a least a month or two, and I'll be getting an external mic at the end of this month(which is also why I haven't been able to redo audio for Delivery Day)..I really would like a shotgun, but unless I can find a "gently" used one for under 100, I may have to go with another option. I certainly don't funds for new at this moment (unless you have one you can sell me? ;))

If you are shooting in an excessively ambient space do not use a shotgun - it will actually accentuate the "roomy" echoey sound of the space. A cardioid condenser is a much better choice. And rather than buying you could rent what you need.

Moving pads and even sheets of Celotex near the talent will help, as will carpeting (when you can't see feet). Being as far away from walls as you can will reduce bounce-back to some degree.

The most important aspect will be proper mic technique; get it in as close as you can and keep adjusting the aim so that it is always pointed properly. The boom-op should practice during the blocking, and take the time to do all of the audio jobs properly. That includes doing some test audio at the set BEFORE you start shooting, and doing dialog and Foley wilds immediately after shooting as well as capturing copious room tones.

Go back and re-read my blogs....

If you are shooting in an excessively ambient space do not use a shotgun - it will actually accentuate the "roomy" echoey sound of the space. A cardioid condenser is a much better choice. And rather than buying you could rent what you need.

Moving pads and even sheets of Celotex near the talent will help, as will carpeting (when you can't see feet). Being as far away from walls as you can will reduce bounce-back to some degree.

The most important aspect will be proper mic technique; get it in as close as you can and keep adjusting the aim so that it is always pointed properly. The boom-op should practice during the blocking, and take the time to do all of the audio jobs properly. That includes doing some test audio at the set BEFORE you start shooting, and doing dialog and Foley wilds immediately after shooting as well as capturing copious room tones.

Go back and re-read my blogs....

Thanks for the advice- if I had to money to bring you North of the border I would let you handle it ;).

Thanks for the advice about the shotgun/cardioid. You mention the carpeting: I DO want echoes, however, I want to be able to control them, should I have the character walk on carpet and put the echoes in post, or try to get the echoes "live"?

I'll read the blogs(that sounds like an order! :lol:)

Sending you a pm :)

I'll read the blogs (that sounds like an order! :lol:)

Atteeeeeeeeeention! Call to orders!
Francelledelete.jpg

Thanks for the advice about the shotgun/cardioid. You mention the carpeting: I DO want echoes, however, I want to be able to control them, should I have the character walk on carpet and put the echoes in post, or try to get the echoes "live"?

If you are not recording dialog it's whole different gig; you focus (pardon the pun) on recording the sounds you want to be predominant in the scene. In fact, this is one of those situations you want multiple mics. You plant them in various locations on the set to capture the sounds you want.

Again, stick with the cardioid even if you want the echoes. The shotgun will overly emphasize the ambient nature of the space, unless of course you want that effect. I gave you more info in my PM reply.

You need to pre-plan the sound very carefully, the perspectives have to match (unless you make a deliberate artistic choice to do otherwise). You plan the audio as carefully as the shot composition,

I did production sound for a short that was entirely from the perspective of surveillance cameras. I had to plant mics all over the sets, up to six in one sequence. Since I had only two audio channels I had to fade the various mics in and out to match the marks of the talent.

You will want to record a ton of wilds; build up a sound library that you can use in audio post. I did this on a couple of shorts and still use some of the sounds from those shorts on other projects. I would stay for an hour or two after wrapping for the day and record furniture, doors, appliances and the like.

You need to pre-plan the sound very carefully, the perspectives have to match (unless you make a deliberate artistic choice to do otherwise). You plan the audio as carefully as the shot composition,

I did production sound for a short that was entirely from the perspective of surveillance cameras. I had to plant mics all over the sets, up to six in one sequence. Since I had only two audio channels I had to fade the various mics in and out to match the marks of the talent.

You will want to record a ton of wilds; build up a sound library that you can use in audio post. I did this on a couple of shorts and still use some of the sounds from those shorts on other projects. I would stay for an hour or two after wrapping for the day and record furniture, doors, appliances and the like.

Oh, trust me...I plan to get as many sound effects as possible while in there :D Build up a nice little library-not to mention the configuration is such that I can grab footage for 3 different projects I have on the go :)

I was inspired while watching the Star Wars commentaries, the different places they got sound effects from (Airplane engines, support wires for poles-it was incredible!). They literally walked around and when they found an effect somewhere they grabbed right then and there.

Back