Outside, Generators, and Recording

When shooting a production outside, and there are generators running lights and other electrical equiptment, how do they not pick up the sound from the generators?

Don't know... used reflectors and a whole load of batteries for my gear.

You could buy a lot of extension cable and have you genset as far away from the set as possible.

Usually you try to set up the generator a ways away. Like minimum 150 feet. Not to mention the generators are usually pretty quite or they have some kind of incasing to keep noise from leaving.

On a big budget film they are using special ginnys and ginny trucks that are extra quiet, and positioned pretty far away. On low budget you just try and enclose them the best you can and position as far away as possible.

When you are working low/no/micro budget you have to be innovative. Everyone has already given the basics, so I'll sum up and add a thing or two.

Make sure that it is "tuned up".

Place the generator as far away from the set as possible.

Place the generator downwind if possible.

Place the generator down hill if possible.

Place it behind/surround it with as many objects as possible. You can use all of the vans and cars to block the sound, and even bring extra C-stands and sound blankets to absorb and deflect the sound.

Also I want to add something important, some shooting is being done for me down in Mexico soon and it's a valid point to check to see if the city's power is good enough for what you need,

In my case, Mexico City's power fluctuates way too much so your equipment will turn off one moment, and then get fried in a matter of seconds because their power uncontrollably changes from down to like 40 to 240 or whatever.

Always check that out when shooting abroad.

To handle the generators, see above and if anyone gives you any heat for it, tell them to look at this thread and have them talk to me. Renting 100 feet of extension power cables for your generators is an extremely important investment. If a producer doesn't understand that and gives you a hard time, he shouldn't be producing your film.

Back