NAB 2010

I was at NAB and the big thing was 3D cameras and distribution.

I'm curious as to who will be the first indie filmmaker to make a 3D flick?

Who's it gonna be?

I think 3D will lose it's popularity long before it could possibly trickle down to indie use.

Once studios start losing money on them (which can't be long, the tickets cost more and if there isn't a way to link the gimmick to the film, people are gonna be sick of it. some already are) they are going to drop them.

I did see Avatar in 3D and I thought it was cool and added a certain presentness to the film, but it was not needed.

That's a good argument.

My main complaint about 3D are the clunky glasses you have to wear.

They also had TVs which shows 3D but didn't require glasses but it looked awful to me.

If they could perfect it without glasses, I'd be happy.

I think 3D will lose it's popularity long before it could possibly trickle down to indie use.

Once studios start losing money on them (which can't be long, the tickets cost more and if there isn't a way to link the gimmick to the film, people are gonna be sick of it. some already are) they are going to drop them.

I did see Avatar in 3D and I thought it was cool and added a certain presentness to the film, but it was not needed.

Pretty much the ONLY reason I saw that piece of crap (Greenpeace afterschool special) was the 3D, which is the point. A way to get people "back in the movie theatre" for the "experience".

Hey Gonzo, Why was it a piece of crap?

A LOT (pretty much all) of the CGI was obvious CGI (like every one of the "aliens"), never for one second did it "fool" me. The script was heavy handed, and full of the kind of stereotypes that (as I said) you expect from a low rent lifetime movie. It beat you over the head with it's "message" instead of subtly making you think about it. The "natives" are totally pure and good, and rainbows and sunshine and lollipops, and the "evil corporate/military thugs" are totally without conscience or depth. It's a good thing the image was
3D because the characters sure weren't. It was eye candy. It was Transformers 2 level screenwriting with slightly higher production values.

I mean, I get why. The intenet was to make a "blockbuster" that would do a bazillion dollars internationally by having characters that easily cross the cultural divides (i.e. cartoon characters), more power to JC on his success, but let's not pretend it's a "good" film in any objective artistic sense.

Alright - you are entitled to your opinion :)

I don't even want to get into it, just wondered why you thought that.

I personally love the security chief and the character Giovani Ribisi played. I quote them all the time with my friends.

I can see where you are coming from, though.

I mean, I get why. The intenet was to make a "blockbuster" that would do a bazillion dollars internationally by having characters that easily cross the cultural divides (i.e. cartoon characters), more power to JC on his success, but let's not pretend it's a "good" film in any objective artistic sense.

I can't say I agree with this. Obviously it was marketed as a blockbuster, there was no way that it wasn't gonna be with it being an 'epic' storyline and having Cameron as the director. But where I disagree is in that that was the movie's sole intent.

James Cameron had been working on the movie for something like 15 years, mainly developing the technology to make it. I feel that the movie was more a vehicle for Cameron's sci-fi ideas/theories, so of course the plot itself was weak (some would call it classic) and unoriginal, the plot was just the vehicle. Also, one guy spent 3-4 years creating a new language. How often does that happen for the typical summer blockbuster?

You're entitled not to like the movie, and there's a lot of it that I don't like, but I just had to disagree on that one point.

Second. Alright, I'ma have to hop in here.

I heard it from James's own mouth when he told me one of the main purposes of this film was to get people back into the theaters. He also said it's the most pirated movie of all time, and yet it's the most grossing film of all time, which says it carried out that purpose.

It's effect is almost exactly the same as Thriller had on the music industry. Quincy Jones said to Michael Jackson and the sound engineer in the studio before they started recording "We are going to save the record business". And they did. Bestselling album of all time. Got kids back into record stores and out of the arcades.

James got people back into the theater and has set off a chain of 3D films that will probably continue like that. He rekindled Hollywood and showed what's possible in that genre. And he did it without an "Unrated" sticker. Thats pretty tough in today's world.

Last edited:
Hey, I paid my 15 bucks or whatever to see it at the IMAX. It was visually stunning, technically magnificant, it was also written on about a second grade level. There's more character depth in "Turner and Hooch", or "Carnosaur 3". I could spend 5 years taking a crap as well, but that doesn't mean that crap would be better than the one I spent 3 minutes on. I'd suggest he go back to hiring real screenwriters and focus on directing.

I literally said as I walked out of the theatre "That was the most expensive and best looking Greenpeace after school special I ever saw"

Last edited:
What would you consider a "good" story written by "competent" screenwriters?

One in which I can't tell you virtually everthing that's going to happen 25 minutes into a 2 hour movie. One in which I give a rat's ass what happens to even one of the characters.

I mean seriously... I said it's beautiful to look at (though he stands for everything I despise in Hollywood with his fetsh for digital). It was what he wanted it to be. A big, spectacular, totally over the top blockbuster that got people in droves to go to the theatre to see the visual orgy. Props to him, but that you can even say with a straight face it's anything but complete bubblegum, pablum... The Jonas Brothers of film, just blows my mind.

You didn't answer my question.

I'm curious to see what you think is good screenwriting. (no hating intended)

(To be honest I think Avatar is the child of Ferngully and Jurassic Park 3)

:cool:

You didn't answer my question.

I'm curious to see what you think is good screenwriting. (no hating intended)

(To be honest I think Avatar is the child of Ferngully and Jurassic Park 3)

:cool:

I answered. Good screenwriting makes you care about the characters. Love them, hate them, be interested in what's going to happen to them. Also, generally, you care about what's going to happen because you can't figure it out. I knew 1/4 of the way into Avatar exactly what was going to happen. Ok, so the Marine is going to fall in love with the girl, "go native", and wind up helping them save their world from the evil corporate assholes. All whilst doing things inside a body he wasn't born in that the real natives can't do (like ride the giant chicken).

Back