• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Birthday Adventure short with professional skater

Hey there, nice to see another Chicagoan on the boards.

I watched your short (without sound, so this is just a visual critique). What was with all the shots of the brands and labels all front and center? Was this supposed to be an ad or something? I see the characters talking about the stuff, but I still think it's kind of weird to be advertising the jewel brand of all things....

You obviously have a nice camera, a lot of the shots look great. Nice camera work on the skating sequence. What kind of stabilizer do you use? I might have liked to see some color correction on those shots, it was all very white and bland (the sky being overcast doesn't help, I'd love to see some blue brought out there). This could partially be avoided by having your actors wear clothes that stand out a bit more from the background.

I know I was watching it with no sound, but I think those long dialogue shots would flow better if you threw in some over the shoulder shots and cut it tighter(you actually could cut the whole thing a lot more tightly, this would be better if it were 3-4min shorter, and I don't mean that in an insulting way). You seem to have some grasp of DOF, so that would make an over the shoulder shot look great.

Agree with Dreadylocks on the camera, it's a nice one and you get some good shots.

You seem to have a good eye for editing.

Shots at the beginning, they seemed to move a bit-I thought a tripod would have made it less distracting. Maybe for the opening I would have used a couple of less shots, felt like it dragged a little bit with the breakfast.

Also agree with Dready on the talking shots (my audio wasn't working), cutting a little closer, making it look more "tidy" (yea I know, picky, picky :lol:)

Some nice footage all around though. Have to get my audio working to give you feeback on that.

Good stuff!

thank you for the replies...the beginning was not supposed to me an ad, haha it was just to show I enjoy eating healthy.

We did not use a stabilizer for the skating shots, all hand held.

I would agree with using more over the shoulder shots

and yes, very nice to see more Chicago people on here!!

Back