Camera Purchase Advice

Hey guys, I'm after some advice for purchasing a new camera for my feature film production. Basically myself and my Director have been looking into the Panasonic HVX200 the Sony PMW-EX1, and the RED Scarlet.

First, a bit about the shoot. The feature (Man vs Car) is an action movie. Mostly shot hand held or mounted to cars. Mostly exterior shots in harsh desert sunlight, but there are a few low light scenes in the movie.

Of course, the Scarlet isn't released yet and really have no idea what problems the camera will have.

We both like the Sony PMW-EX1, but we're very worried about the Rolling Shutter issues. How will this handle the hight speed objects and being mounted to cars with heavy vibration?

Our other choice in the Panasonic HVX200. It's a camera that we have experience with, there are no rolling shutter issues, but don't really feel comfortable with the pixel shift and quality in comparison the the Sony PMW-EX1.

Any advise? Has anyone had any problems with the rolling shutter issues or tackled a project similar to mine?

Or are there any other cameras in a similar price range that you would recommend instead?

Both the HVX200 & EX1 are great cameras. The scarlet isn't out and won't be for a while, so forget that idea.

They both shoot the same res, 720p/1080i, although hvx has a 1/3inch chip while the EX has a 1/2inch. The ex1 also has a better stock lens.

That being said, it's more expensive, and has CMOS, which can cause problems.

They are both great choices, and you wont be disapointed in either. I'd personally go with the EX1.

Both the HVX200 & EX1 are great cameras. The scarlet isn't out and won't be for a while, so forget that idea.

They both shoot the same res, 720p/1080i, although hvx has a 1/3inch chip while the EX has a 1/2inch. The ex1 also has a better stock lens.

That being said, it's more expensive, and has CMOS, which can cause problems.

They are both great choices, and you wont be disapointed in either. I'd personally go with the EX1.

So you would go the EX1 over an HVX200 even though there is the problem of the rolling shutter?

Also, an update. After much discussion and research we're now looking at using two JVC GY-HM100's to shoot all the action scenes, and a Sony PMW-EX1 to shoot the more tame scenes, especially the scenes that need to be shot in low light.

Back