• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Experimental Short Film shot on 5D - What do you think?

Visually stunning, unbelievable image quality from the 5D. What resolution is this? How does it handle in low light situations compared to other cameras? It's so small that I think it would work really well for guerilla filmmaking situations. I just might use one for my next movie.

it's 1080p with 24frames with the new update. It's good in low light and has relitively cheap fast lenses.

It's crazy what those cameras can do.

I really liked the short, btw. The dancers were awesome, the filming was great, how did you find the location? Did you need to add much to it props/color grading wise?

As long as you have fast lenses it handles really well in low light environments.

I used a lens adapter so we could use Nikon prime lenses. I don’t remember the exact lenses we used, but they were fairly fast so we had no problems filming in low light.

As far as the location. It was my own studio that I do film work out of In Gastown, Vancouver. I was just prepping to shoot a short film the next day but I wanted to shoot this one first just to test the camera in a low light environment. You can see the other short film here:

http://www.romanticchildstudios.com/blog/2010/03/mars-to-jupiter-short-film/

You’ll notice it’s the same location. Myself and a Production Designer set up the location. We put up the wallpaper (with double-sided tape so I could remove it later), brought in all of the props, set up all of the different lights (we didn’t use any available lights…. We used only our own studio lights as well as some garden lights (that’s how we gave the bathroom scene a slightly green hue in the second short film I posted above). Garden lights are great for little color highlights as they only cost $14 with the reflector.

I’m currently planning on shooting a feature on the Canon 5D .The script has been in development for months and we’re currently running around doing a tonne of pre-production work (casting, location scouting etc). I’m really excited about the process.

If you guys are interested I would love to keep you posted on our process. I’m posting about it every Thursday on my blog. You can see the last post here:

http://www.romanticchildstudios.com/blog/2010/04/first-independent-feature-film/

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I really appreciate it!

I concur with others, the camera quality was very good. I enjoyed the film overall. I particularly like the line "I will pierce your feet, so that you can't walk. I will pierce your stomach, so that you can't breathe. I will pierce your heart, so that you can't find your love for me." Haunting.

Thanks again everyone. I really liked the writer I worked with on this project. Him and I are working on a feature film project now and we'll use the same camera (Canon 5D) that was used to shoot this short film. I just wrote a embarrassingly long blog post about our development process so far. If you are interested in independent film and you want to learn from our victories and mistakes then keep an eye out on our production blog here:

http://www.romanticchildstudios.com/blog/2010/04/first-independent-feature-film/

Also "Mr.Boss"... you asked about how the camera handles in low light. In short: VERY well. It even has a sensor larger then the RED cam's sensor. The canon 5D's sensor is a full frame 35.8 x 23.9mm. It's very sensitive to light and we didn't see much noise in the image even when we're shooting with a high ISO speed.

Hope this helps.

I saw a couple of youtube reviews on the 5D. They say it handles low light well.

Great DP. The video translates well to youtube too with little quality degredation. The wood on the floors looks especially lush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhdjS81kpyI

Last edited:
Back