My New Film

Hello, I recently finished the script for my short film "The House" (working title) anyway, i just want to say that it will be scary and intense, kinda like BROKEN but alot cheaper and a weirder story. The budget on my film is around 0.00 im actually going to sell my xbox so I can buy food for the cast and crew. I have a shotgun mic a makeshift jib arm, a makeshift dolly, 2 cameras tripods, and some lights.

This will be my first film directing/producing/acting/writing and editing. I just want to say that INDY MOGUl is very good for tips on DIY filmmaking.

Thanks

Hello, I recently finished the script for my short film "The House" (working title) anyway, i just want to say that it will be scary and intense, kinda like BROKEN but alot cheaper and a weirder story. The budget on my film is around 0.00 im actually going to sell my xbox so I can buy food for the cast and crew. I have a shotgun mic a makeshift jib arm, a makeshift dolly, 2 cameras tripods, and some lights.

This will be my first film directing/producing/acting/writing and editing. I just want to say that INDY MOGUl is very good for tips on DIY filmmaking.

Thanks

Thats awesome. You have a lot of pre-production work in front of you.. better get started ;)

As I discovered this past weekend, acting and directing, especially when not every single member of the crew is a 100% seasoned professional is very, very, VERY hard. I had a mostly pro crew, and it was STILL very hard. One or the other has to suffer in the sense you can't give it your full attention. In my case it was director. I had to just trust my DP and my 1st AD that they knew what I wanted and were getting it.

Gonzo,
I'm curious to know if you DP and AD did indeed "get it" and more importantly, if they are still talking to you :)

Well, 1st AD is my girlfriend, so thankfully yes. The DP I have worked with before, and he is a seasoned pro. I'm waiting on a rough cut from the editor right now, I'll know more as soon as I see it. Don't get me wrong, before we wrapped a setup I looked at what they thought was the "best take" and signed off on it, but just not possible with two days to shoot 18 pages to watch every take, or to really have my mind focused on directing as much as I would have liked.

I can imagine.. but thats all. I have as of yet 0 experience.

Seems the key question I would ask my self in your situation is this:

Would I rather have a GREAT performance in a mediocre frame, or a mediocre performance in a GREAT frame?

My answer would be:

A GREAT performance trumps a GREAT frame every time.

Which would encourage me to simply TAKE OFF the director hat when acting. It would be hard, but IF I could trust that my stand in director can make sure the lens cap is off, that Im somewhere IN THE FRAME, and that sound is recording.. Id let it go and not even allow my self to look at the view finder..

Easy to say, I know, I know..

As I discovered this past weekend, acting and directing, especially when not every single member of the crew is a 100% seasoned professional is very, very, VERY hard. I had a mostly pro crew, and it was STILL very hard. One or the other has to suffer in the sense you can't give it your full attention. In my case it was director. I had to just trust my DP and my 1st AD that they knew what I wanted and were getting it.

And I wonder why I 'm so hesitant to make my films involve more than a couple of people:blush:

I think that's what scares me to death sometimes-getting people together (pro or otherwise) to do even a 10 minute short. If you aren't paying them, then you're relying on their integrity to show up and do the job. If they are being paid (besides the fact its costing you money) there's still no guarantee of "professionalism".

I shudder to think about the idea of "delegating" authority to someone else...:lol:

Wheatgrinder- I've had to wear both hats(masks?), and while it's a good feeling to know that I KNOW what I want in the shot and film. it doesn't always mean I'm the best at the acting stuff(though I like to think I'm tolerable).

Last edited:
"I shudder to think about the idea of "delegating" authority to someone else"

It's tough, and I STILL do too much, but it has to be done if you're going to do anything of any magnitude.
If you're paying them, you have a contract, and if they do not perform, you fire them. You do enough in pre-production (hopefullly) to know and be able to fire them then. I have been SO lucky on my main crew positions. I am using the same DP, editor, 1st AC, and Sound guy from my last film because they were all talented and hard workers. The people who didn't perform well on my last film (Wardrobe, art director, assistant editor, 1st AD) were not invited to the party. The hope is eventually you build a crew you can trust.

"I shudder to think about the idea of "delegating" authority to someone else"

It's tough, and I STILL do too much, but it has to be done if you're going to do anything of any magnitude.
If you're paying them, you have a contract, and if they do not perform, you fire them. You do enough in pre-production (hopefullly) to know and be able to fire them then. I have been SO lucky on my main crew positions. I am using the same DP, editor, 1st AC, and Sound guy from my last film because they were all talented and hard workers. The people who didn't perform well on my last film (Wardrobe, art director, assistant editor, 1st AD) were not invited to the party. The hope is eventually you build a crew you can trust.

See, I'm still in the "hey, I'd like you to help me out, but I can't afford to pay you, can I buy you lunch" type of situation :lol: I understand you pay the people, they are there to do the job. Volunteers are tougher obviously, hopefully in future I can actually a low (as opposed to no) budget picture where I'll be able to delegate the authority and pay for their time.

Out of curosity, how did you get your crew for the first film? Just curious what the beginning steps are to actually, you know, HIRING people :)

Mostly Craigslist ads. There is a fairly big pool of technical people, equipment rental houses, etc.. in Nashville because of the country music video business. My DP and makeup artist are both LA vets who moved back to Nashville for various reasons.

Back