• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Bunker - My post apo short movie, shot with a Red One

Hi folks

Here under is a short i released last October.
It's only my first movie, an indie autoproduction. I tried to something very simple, 10 min long.
We shot it with a Red One.

I'll be glad to have all your comments.

P.S. : damn youtube distorts the image. You can see the movie in great quality, but without english subtitles here : http://www.vimeo.com/6637651

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek3yNDa3qAU

Last edited:
wow, I asked in your welcome thread for help with set design..

Now, I know where you got the inspiration, fallout 3 the video game, but how did you turn that inspiration into vision, then into reality? Did you paint everything to get that tone, or is that all post?

Did you just go shopping junk stores for the props, or did you burrow them?

It is interesting how just a few period pieces, the power supply, the radio mic, etc set the whole stage.. I like the First Aid box, looks like a plastic tool cases I see at the local junk store for $1.

To get the right tone, i worked with a great director of photography, a guy who is only 26 years old and just rocks ! I'll work with him again on my next short.

I rented all the props and we shot the movie in a real bunker to have a great set design.
In fact, what you see in the movie is less accurate that what we planned to do, but my set designer didnt work as much as expected.

I had the chance to shot with a Red One, cause I'm in an association of indie filmmakers who actually owns one. And i was the first to have the chance to use it in the association:D
So, it's luck, only luck and lots of work.

Last edited:
Wonderful. It was beautiful to watch and the story totally sucked me in. I love this old-timey stuff, so cool.

Loved the music. The Amelie soundtrack is one of my favs, Yann Tiersen is the best! :) You used it really well for this.

Hope to see more of you around here :D

Can you hint at some of the techniques your DP used?

thanks
What would you like to know ?

Whoa... had never seen this thread.. shooting a movie with some similar elements. Different, style, but similar elements.
Oh yeah ? What's your movie pitch ? Might be interesting to see the final result and how u did things in a different way

What would you like to know ?

Oh yeah ? What's your movie pitch ? Might be interesting to see the final result and how u did things in a different way

Post apocalyptic, the nature of the apocalypse is only hinted at never fully revealed. A man is alone inside a bunker. He eventually lets a young girl in and most of the film is the interaction between the two of them. In the end he throws her out again and remains alone. One similar element is that he spends a lot of time listening to records. One different choice is that I am over saturating the colors instead of desaturating them. It's also a more conventional narrative with a lot of dialogue.

Post apocalyptic, the nature of the apocalypse is only hinted at never fully revealed. A man is alone inside a bunker. He eventually lets a young girl in and most of the film is the interaction between the two of them. In the end he throws her out again and remains alone. One similar element is that he spends a lot of time listening to records. One different choice is that I am over saturating the colors instead of desaturating them. It's also a more conventional narrative with a lot of dialogue.

Sounds nice. Hope we'll see it soon !

Gonzo,
I was wondering when you were going to pipe up! :)

as Bebealiens set uses a lot of 1950's era props, desaturated to suggest antiquity... maybe your more vibrant color scheme might look good with 60's era gear. Thinking of "Harvest Gold" and "Avocado Green"

I don't know your back story, and maybe how the bunker came to be is unimportant to the story, but having a back story (even one nobody else knows) can still explain why the set looks the way it does.

How about something like:
In the summer following the bay of pigs scare, dad had us boys, me 14, and my twin brothers Jeb and Jude, both 19, dig out a big hole out behind the tool shed. We worked on that thing through July, August, in to September. After we finished the building, we brought in that summers corn harvest. In November, Instead of buying seed corn with the profits, dad spent all the money on supplies for the bomb shelter. We carefully stored and stocked that shelter with the latest high tech equipment, a short wave and HAM radio

mikrohet2.jpg

a record player.

zenith55.jpg

He let Jeb and Jude pick up some new records, Evlis's Blue Hawaii

144041.1020.A.jpg

seemed to be everybody favorite. We listened to that record over and over as we put in the final touches. Dad even let me put up some movie posters.

Great last shot.

Hey, this was really nice! Very well done. The lighting was fantastic, the camera work was simple and well-executed...I loved it. I also very much liked the concept, and the twist at the end--although not what I wanted for the woman--was very clever and added a much needed punctuation to the film.

Great work.

Hey, have you ever seen Anthony Penta's 'You Ruined Everything'? It's interesting, because in the opening of his film he had an old record player, a wall of newspaper clippings, and hanging light bulbs...also the film is based in a future dystopia...very similar to your film, and I was wondering if you had seen it and were inspired by it? Not that I'm saying you ripped anything off, it's just very interesting to see the very same props and set dressing in these two films. Here is a clip from Anthony's short for reference: http://www.youtube.com/user/pentaworks#p/u/1/d4e6RW_sRgQ

Last edited:
Hey, have you ever seen Anthony Penta's 'You Ruined Everything'? It's interesting, because in the opening of his film he had an old record player, a wall of newspaper clippings, and hanging light bulbs...also the film is based in a future dystopia...very similar to your film, and I was wondering if you had seen it and were inspired by it? Not that I'm saying you ripped anything off, it's just very interesting to see the very same props and set dressing in these two films. Here is a clip from Anthony's short for reference: http://www.youtube.com/user/pentaworks#p/u/1/d4e6RW_sRgQ

Nope, didn't knew this one, but i'll try to watch it, to see how close it is to my own film.
Thanks for the nice review !

When I see the lighting in that, I want to cry-hopefully I can aspire to that type one day. It has given me an idea for the final "short" in my trilogy though....Hmmmm:)

Nice work with the older equipment, and a great job of using lighting to highlight what's important, so that the darkness around her helps the effect.

When I see the lighting in that, I want to cry-hopefully I can aspire to that type one day. It has given me an idea for the final "short" in my trilogy though....Hmmmm:)
Nice work with the older equipment, and a great job of using lighting to highlight what's important, so that the darkness around her helps the effect.

Thanks.

For the Audio, the "static" over the radio-was that done in post simply laying a "static" track as part of the audio? I know it seems like a small detail, but it's little details that can make the difference between a good and great production(yours being the latter :))

For the Audio, the "static" over the radio-was that done in post simply laying a "static" track as part of the audio? I know it seems like a small detail, but it's little details that can make the difference between a good and great production(yours being the latter :))

Yes it was done by laying some"statick" on the track

... Great film.
Thanks !

Back