read for yourself

Thanks for sharing! I feel like indie films are in a fairly liminal space right now when it comes to distribution strategies, I think it's going to be really interesting to see if that gels into something more consistent in the near future.

Interesting stuff. I liked reading about a couple success stories from this method. I think there was a discussion up here recently on how to market your film in a low-budget way. These filmmakers essentially did exactly what was talked about there. Blogging seems somewhat key (not sure if I like that). I think Paley had a good idea, selling 35mm prints. There are a lot of venues, especially in cities, where people do pay (not much) to see indie films. Obviously these filmmakers had some budget, but how much do you think possibly went to marketing? Because I think we all know that just making something available to download, doesn't mean anyone will download it.

ok. </rant>

I think I might try this..

With this board, facebook, my work blogs.. and what not I should be able to drive at least a few eyeballs to a website \ blog.

My "The Last Little Girl" project was to be a throw away, but its sorta grown beyond that..

When do you all think would be a good time to go public? At a minimum I think some concept footage, something to look at, would be a must...

IMO, .com is always preferable. If you're gonna start blogging for publicity, I would start as soon as you feel you can make at least 1-2 posts a week. Having 'dailies' you could put up def. helps.

I would definitely try and give the blog an angle. If you combine your own stories and mistakes you've learned from along the way with just a straightforward blog for your film, I think you could find a market easily. Just look at how many people are on this site. If you are offering advice on how to make film, you will have an audience.

having a ".net" has a certain altruistic, "Im in it for the art" .. kinda message... a complete lie mind you, but thats marketing.. ;)

.com says Im all biz.

I site the ubiquitous AE tut sight.. videocopilot dot what.. dot NET...

IDK, I don't think most people actually think about .com standing for commercial. I think most people will default to .com because it's what they associate with any website.

I'm not saying sites haven't succeeded with .net, I just think it looks like you couldn't get the 'good one.' Y'know what I mean?

IMO, .net or .tv or whatever work best when the name of your site or it's content would make having it be specifically better or easier to remember. For example, my student loan is through a company called Nelnet and their website is nelnet.net. That makes a lot of sense to me because it makes it easier to remember.

But yeah, neither's gonna do you any good or bad without marketing it properly. Do you feel like sharing your site name/url? Or is it top secret, atm?

seems like the OP article the websites names were the project names, not a portal name.. for example my project "The Last Little Girl" vs a portal to my projects "wheatgrinder productions" so, Im leaning towards "thelastlittlegirl.com"

Back