D90 Tomorrow - Tutorials on D-Movie?

Okay, I purchased a D90 (I was holding out for a D700s but Nikon looks to be holding that off till Christmas Release, maybe the scarlet will beat it to the punch?).

It arrives Tomorrow and I'm very excited. I've had a chance to play with a friend's D90 and it should work for my kind of film making (Controlled Filmmaking). I'm sure I'll be posting some test frames from my new movie as I work on the space scenes.

My quick experience has taught me a few things already...

1. Use Old lenses as you get more control over exposure, also the slide & turns for zoom and focus are excellent for one hand control of the lens versus the two fixed ring concept.
2. Use a Fader ND for controlling light at 24fps
3. Video Tripod Head, not the ball & grip heads I use for photos
4. Rely on your lens' hyperfocal distance for ease of use when DOF is not needed.

That said I'm looking for some nice tutorials on how to maximize the use of the movie mode on the D90 (I'll be recording external audio) as I look on youtube and 99% of the "D90 Tests" seem to be by crazed zombies who wave the thing around like its a camera toss competition, you know who you are. Something a bit more "professional"?

Thanks!

I got the D90 Today, what an awesome camera! Video tripod shows up tomorrow, so excited!

5. Exposure "Lock" stops the camera from constantly changing exposure
6. D-Movie mode has a fine Exposure Control Adjuster on-screen which is great, but you can also use the camera's +/- 5 EV stops exposure compensation (A FANTASTIC RANGE!)
7. Slow Controlled Movements give good panning, jerkiness or shaking the camera causes massive distortions

Last edited:
Back