What would you recommend - budget around 6500$?

Hey there guys. I have budget as stated in topic. What would you recommend for me? I was thinking about canon 7d but i heard that there is only auto sound level and that seems not good since I definietely will have to record sound from time to time - but if you recommend some good audio device to do the job i'll appreciate it.

thanks in advance guys!

Wait for the RED Scarlet if you can. It's coming some time this summer. About 4000 bucks for the full kit with a fixed lens! About 2000 for the Body only, so if you want, you can go that route and buy extra leneses + accessories as needed. Have a look here: http://www.red.com/epic_scarlet/

Otherwise, if you really need a camera now, the Canon 5D still shoots great images. And its only 2500$ or so. With the rest of the money, you could then get good lenses, a decent mic + a Zoom H4 audio recorder and some other accessories like a shoulder Rig (RedRock Mirco makes them), the Zacuto Z-Finder, extra batteries + CF-Cards and cables.

@surfaceofthesun: Whoever invented the auto-levels function on a camera should be shot. I can see how it could be good for just random b-roll or other amateur functions, but when you want to make a high quality film, auto-gain should be avoided like the plague and sound should definitely be in your criteria of what camera you buy.

You don't want all your actors to sound like wookies.

Thanks for the advice, bro. As a matter of fact I plan to buy the camera in a month or two - i want to be sure i checked for the best one - any idea when exactly is scarlet coming out?
Well, sry. "summer-time" is all we know right now. NAB is next week, I'm sure RED will be releasing some new info then. Stay tuned for that.

I thought I saw a release chart the other day, but can't seem to find it at the moment. Anyway, the gist was epics were coming out first then the scarlett series. Might be a while for those as the Epic line roll out progresses.

A camera with a phantom power XLR input with a boom is your best bet on the sound. Check it out and see which one sounds the best. I don't really have much experience with cameras myself. Check out the blogs from Alcove Audio on this site - he has great info.

Back