LED FRESNELS? & FRESNEL vs OPEN FACE

Hey everybody,
With my recent move to new city my sweet deal on borrowing a friends light kit has come to an end. I was using an open face desisti 1k and 2 desisti fresnel 650's.

Anyway the time has come for me to acquire my own and I have a few questions. Seems like LED's are gaining popularity and I checked some kits out. I have heard that like CFL's you're you're lacking hard light while working with these lights. So I looked for a LED fresnel in hopes of a more focused hard light and found this:

http://www.activemusician.com/item-...&ovtac=CMP&ovcpn=&ovcrn=Altman+65Q+6"+Fresnel

But in it's description it says "good for use when shaping light is not necessary". Anybody know what's up with that? I would think with the fresnel lens you'd be able to shape it. It'd be great if it was a harder light source at that price! But mainly I just don't want a washed out look, need SOME shadows.

But outside of checking out what's new on the market I was checking out some traditional tungsten lights like I'm familiar with. And that got me thinking about some of the other used lights I was considering. An open face mole 2k, Lowel's tota, dp, and others. Of course I was leaning towards these lights because they were cheap finds but I realized none of them are fresnels.

I didn't notice a huge difference in my usualy set up from the softbox on the open face desisti 1k and a diffused fresnel 650 with the kit I was using but I always used the 1k as my key so I didn't really change up the set up to notice a difference.

So my second question is, is a fresnel really necessary? Or could I just barn door and black wrap open face lights to focus them enough?

Would love to hear your feedback, thanks!

But in it's description it says "good for use when shaping light is not necessary". Anybody know what's up with that? I would think with the fresnel lens you'd be able to shape it. It'd be great if it was a harder light source at that price! But mainly I just don't want a washed out look, need SOME shadows.

I own a few of those Altmans. When they talk about "shaping" the light, they're referring to theatre applications. On stage, fresnel spots throw a softer beam, as opposed to an ellipsoidal spot which you can focus to a razor sharp beam and shutter off at the instrument.

For film, you generally use flags and such to shape light, so an undiffused fresnel is considered a hard light.

I'll be interested in the answers in this thread as well....I'm going to be getting some "real" lighting, down the road, and I am trying to re-educate myself as to lighting matters (as I learned today with masking and editing:rolleyes:)

So my second question is, is a fresnel really necessary? Or could I just barn door and black wrap open face lights to focus them enough?

Guess I could've addressed this one, too.

Depends on what you want. A fresnel will give you a (relatively) tight spot, if that's what you need. A flood will always be a flood. Doors and/or wrap will prevent side spill, but cannot focus the light the way a lens can. If you don't need a tight focus instrument for a particular reason then a flood should work fine.

Some open-face instruments - like Lowel's Omni - have limited focusing capability using a parabolic reflector.

Thanks 2001, so say I have a shoot that calls for high contrast I'm just not going to get those stark shadows without a fresnel lens?

And I'd love to hear more about your experience with the Altman's. Can you generate enough light with 4 or 5 of those to light a whole scene? Or do you typically use them in combination with other higher power LED lights? What kind of throw are you getting? Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited:
say I have a shoot that calls for high contrast I'm just not going to get those stark shadows without a fresnel lens?

That is not correct. The presence or absence of a lens has nothing to do with the hardness or softness of a light source.

It's basic physics. Light waves radiate outward from an incandescent filament in straight lines. This creates hard shadows on your subject and background.

In an open-faced instrument, they radiate out in all directions equally, except as redirected by a reflector. Adding a lens, such as a fresnel, just focuses those same waves so that most of the light is more or less traveling in a single direction. But they are still traveling in a straight line, so you still get hard shadows.

To prevent hard shadows, you must break up the light waves so that they no longer all travel in the same direction. You can either do this by bouncing the light off of something, or by placing a diffusion material in the path of the light.

And I'd love to hear more about your experience with the Altman's. Can you generate enough light with 4 or 5 of those to light a whole scene? Or do you typically use them in combination with other higher power LED lights? What kind of throw are you getting?

First, in case you don't realize it, those Altman fresnels are not LED instruments. They use a quartz lamp (typically 500w for the 6", though your link says they're rated up to 750w). LED lights are a completely different animal and you'll pay a LOT more for them.

Yes, you can light a scene with 4 or 5 Altman fresnels. You can light a scene with 4 or 5 of pretty much any type of instrument, if you know what you're doing. All the Altman cans are is a basic light source. They happen to have a lens, which allows them to be highly directional, if that is what is called for.

You say you want a high-contrast scene, but I hope you understand what an extreme look an undiffused hard light source creates on camera. It's very unnatural, like you were shooting on the surface of the moon. Unless you're going for that kind of extreme, I highly recommend at least some diffusion. A good DP can create a high-contrast look without making it look like some kind of bizarre moonscape.

My Altman and Mole fresnels are part of a lighting package that includes a range of different types and wattage instruments. Mine are 100% incandescent - no LEDs or flourescent. Not because there's anything wrong with LED or flourescent - they're great - but because incandescent fixtures are much cheaper to purchase. If I need a tight focus instrument, I use a fresnel or other type of spotlight. If I need a broad, even spill I use an open-face instrument.

Ya I didn't realize those weren't LED's. I did a search for LED fresnels and those came up, thought I found some new light. Guess I got a little excited and didn't read the fine print.

Ya in the past I typically always was diffusing with either a softbox or gels, but in purchasing lights I was just wondering if that extreme high contrast look was needed, would I still be able to do it with those lights.

But your input on the fresnel aspect of it all was great. Basic physics always bring a little clarity, thanks!

Those look awesome...I notice they don't tell you the price, which always scares me.

Ya. Lightpanels are notoriously expensive. :no:

They want way too much for the little Micro and Mini line. I think the mini pro is ~$450+. There are knock-offs on ebay, but they don't have a clean color balance like the LP models. Nor are they as sturdy or bright - but they are usable and around 50-100 or so.

Will be interesting to see where the idea of an LED fresnel goes. If some other, larger, manufacturers start heading that direction prices might start dropping. At the moment you can get a decent amount of gear for the price of a single 1x1 lightpanel.

New LED Fresnel 200W

I found this topic today and as we have a new LED Studiofresnel light I want to give you short technical informations:

The SquareLED Authentic 200 is the first LED studio fresnel

spotlight with similar power like a 800 W halogen luminaire.

It is available in two different color temperatures: First

with 3200 k similar to halogen spotlights and second with

5600 k similar to daylight spotlights.

Technical Data:

»» 200W LED module - available with 3200K and 5600K

»» Power like a 800 W Halogen luminaire

»» Beam angle: 10° - 60°

»» Neutrik Connectors

»» Temperature regulated

»» Square dimming curve

»» 38,2 dbA

»» Incl. 4-leaf barndoor

»» DMX 512

If anybody is interested in more details, just let me know. Have a nice day!

Back