Viewfinder Vs HD External Monitor?

I am thinking of getting the 7d or t2i.

However t2i doesn't output in HD, therefore the HD external monitor would be useless.

So I am wondering if the HD external monitor is a must have. I find that squinting your eye into the viewfinder is tiring.

What are the differences pro cons between the viewfinder and monitor?

Other than the cost of buying/renting a monitor and maybe for use when shooting handheld there are no pros to a viewfinder. It's what you use when you absolutely have to. Using the viewfinder makes it MUCH harder to pull perfect focus, makes it hard to see very small things "wrong" in the shot (like a boom shadow for example). I general makes it very hard for the director to really get a good feeling for how the shot is framerd, etc...

Last edited:
Other than the cost of buying/renting a monitor and maybe for use when shooting handheld there are no pros to a viewfinder. It's what you use when you absolutely have to. Using the viewfinder makes it MUCH harder to pull perfect focus, makes it hard to see very small things "wrong" in the shot (like a boom shadow for example). I general makes it very hard for the director to really get a good feeling for how the shot is framerd, etc...

Even as far as costs, couldn't one pretty much use any sort of tv that has the hookups? I admit i don't have much experience with HD, but even without HD, as stated by Gonzo, you can see a lot more in the shot, and "see" what it would look like on television. Even a used TV with hookups will save you the viewing through the viewfinder I would think :)

I have an external SD LCD monitor that I use with my HD camera. It is used exclusively for framing shots, however, NOT for focus or color reference. My camera has a digital focal length display, so once focus has been established, the numbers may be output to the monitor and referenced by the puller to follow or maintain focus. Works great, and relatively inexpensive.

you could also think about one of those LCD viewfinder magnifiers, those are nice, but one you put it on a steady cam or something it becomes useless. I shot my short on the 7d and my biggest regret is not insisting on my camera guys using a monitor.

Hell we're using TWO monitors on my next short. a 7" Marshall HD mounted to the camera that operator uses, and a 17" HD with waveform that the DP uses for color and the script supervisor/continuity person uses to watch the scene.

Back