Lens Cleaning

So I've placed my order for my 35mm adapter and it should be here any week now :) I've been looking into saving some money in the lens department so I had a look around to see what I could find. I found a old pentax k1000 with a 50mm kit lens on it, it's only f/2 BUT it's free so that's major and I can't tell the difference right now ;)

I also hit the (literal) motherload when I remember my mom had a camera from her old newspaper days. Sure enough I scored a 28mm, a 50mm and a 200mm, all of similar quality to the pentax (they are minolta brand). Well all of these lenses are full of smudges (no scratches that I can see, though) probably from children (aka, me and my siblings) finding the bag and playing with them over the years.

So what's the best way to clean them? I've seen cleaning kits and supplies from 5 bucks to 70, is it simply a matter of "you get what you pay for" or is there even a DIY home solution I could do for cheap? For example, toothpaste is a great way to get small scratches off of CD's (not that I plan on putting toothpaste on my lenses!), is there a trick like this? If not, what cleaning kits/supplies do you recommend?

Thanks people!

I got a Minolta and a set of lenses from my
dad. All from the late 1960's. Excellent lenses!

Any brand name lens cleaning fluid will be
fine. Ziess, Canon, Adorama, Kinetronics.
Use a "micro fiber" cloth, a blower brush,
lens tissue and cotton swabs.

Yeah a blower brush or lipstick brush to remove particles like sand. If you go to clean the lens and there is one grain of sand on it... scratch! Blower brush, then clean. Google "Formula MC kit" and you'll find a nice little kit for cheap.

So I've placed my order for my 35mm adapter and it should be here any week now :) I've been looking into saving some money in the lens department so I had a look around to see what I could find. I found a old pentax k1000 with a 50mm kit lens on it, it's only f/2 BUT it's free so that's major and I can't tell the difference right now ;)

I also hit the (literal) motherload when I remember my mom had a camera from her old newspaper days. Sure enough I scored a 28mm, a 50mm and a 200mm, all of similar quality to the pentax (they are minolta brand). Well all of these lenses are full of smudges (no scratches that I can see, though) probably from children (aka, me and my siblings) finding the bag and playing with them over the years.

So what's the best way to clean them? I've seen cleaning kits and supplies from 5 bucks to 70, is it simply a matter of "you get what you pay for" or is there even a DIY home solution I could do for cheap? For example, toothpaste is a great way to get small scratches off of CD's (not that I plan on putting toothpaste on my lenses!), is there a trick like this? If not, what cleaning kits/supplies do you recommend?

Thanks people!

Wow, whadya buy? I was THIS close to sniping a brevis (with flip) on ebay, but I fired my max bid too soon and missed it.. by $20!

Cool, thanks for the advice! Looks like I can get what I need for 15-20 bucks, which is great :D

@wheatgrinder: After much debate as to whether or not to try and make one myself, I decided to go with the Encinema brand. It's only $214 with shipping which isn't a whole lot more than it would cost to make one, and a lot less complicated.
It's not the best adapter out there, but from the test footage I've seen, I know that you can get great results with it.

Back to the OP.

Im freaked out to touch my lenses and filters. Especial the fixed lenses on my new camcorder. Whats the safest way to remove finger print?

In related problems.. Iv picked up two CPL filters, at different times for different cameras, and BOTH of these when I started using my brush on them, got a horrible film on them. I had to use cleaners and wipes and q-tips.. I figured that since a CPL has MOVING parts that it was some kinda of lube applied at the factory. but.. any experts experience this?

Lens cleaner with a micro fiber cloth or lens tissue.

Don't use water, pressured airt blower, or anything 'home made'.

You most likely won't be able to get all the scratchers/dust off the lens, but most small marks can't be seen in the picture

well exciting. are you getting any support system? what camera do you use it on?

I'm going to try and make a support myself, but I gotta say I don't know where to start. 15mm rods are hard to come by, and I'm not sure what I'd use as a plate to space them apart. If I'm able to replace the bolt on my tripod's head, then I think I'll rig just a thin piece of wood or hard piece of plastic to go between the camera and the tripod, and then on that I'll build/attach a cradle of some sort for the lens/adapter.

Got any better ideas? I have basic tools and am kind of handy, but I don't have a garage or even a yard to work in, so really messy/ space consuming projects are not as doable.

And the camera it's gonna go on is a Vixia HF200 :)

I'm so exited I can't stop thinking about it! :D:D:D

You dont want to rip the threads out of the end of you camera! so support is a MUST.

That said, your right.. there is a conspiracy to deny the world 15mm rods! On DVInvo.net it was discovered that for 15mm rod, just buy 3/4" aluminum, a 6pak of bud, and head on down to your local gear head automotive machine shop.. bat your eyes, give em the 6pack and say..
"can you mechanical genus's please turn this down to 15mm for me, and cut it to 24" lenghts while your at it?"

You can buy bits and pieces.. that will fit, but its still expensive.. Me, Id spring for something store bought on this (having gone down the DIY research path and still not happy with what I can come up with)

$150 or so..

http://cgi.ebay.com/DV-Rail-System-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27b08efff8

Wow that's a great price for the support system. Unfortunately I gotta try and go the DIY though. Maybe if Uncle Sam had been a little nicer....

But I did some more research and I found a link on a board to a hardware supply place. Check this out:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum/=6h60s5

I don't quite understand how they would ship a 6' long rod, but that is cheap! It makes me want to buy a bunch, cut them down and then undercut everyone else. lol

But I totally agree, until I get some support, my camera will be hand held :yes:

Back