is it possible to make it with only a handycam?

right now my only camera is a Sony HD Handycam that uses the mini dvds. Is it possible to make it in festivals by only shooting with that or do I need to find funding for a real movie camera?

It doesn't matter what type of camera you use. It could be film, HD, vhs, hi-8, beta, camera phone etc. As long as you have a well written story, determination, and some imagination to get your film done - you can make it into any festival and then-some.

I agree. It's not what you have, its how you use it. Some people(not pointing you out :)) when starting out seem to think that they need a X14AG200013443 camera to make a good production. All cameras are basically the same, just the amount of bells, whistles and varying degrees of film clarity. They are a tool. What you pay for in price things like HD compatiblity, SD cards/harddrive, increased pixel count, ect. Now these cameras are more about if you work with studios or film productions. But doing a film yourself? If you've got a good story, good sound(which can be gotten with a quality mic) and good lighting, it's amazing what can be pulled off. Unfortunately, I've seen stuff on youtube where they brag about having some pro model camera, and they don't use something as simple as a tripod:rolleyes:(I don't care how stable you think you are, I can tell if someone is holding a camera as opposed to a tripod or placing it on a flat surface-humans can't be that still IMO).

Rant over :) Essentially, you CAN make a festival quality film using the 6 P's above(I like that btw-I have to remember that)

right now my only camera is a Sony HD Handycam that uses the mini dvds. Is it possible to make it in festivals by only shooting with that or do I need to find funding for a real movie camera?

Editing the video shot on mini dvd is quite a challenge. If you
can overcome that challenge you can use your minidvd camera.
In your case you might need to find the funding for a camera.
You don't need an expensive camera to make a movie for festivals.

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=20705
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=20708
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=20677
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=20745

Wow, ok that sounds good. I will eventually upgrade when I have the cash but right now it's all I got but I think I've got enough determination to make it right. Thank you all this forum is very helpful.

Unfortunately youtube is not working for me right now I don't know why.

Also,

You think not having the best recording equipment stopped The Beatles from making it big?

How about "It's a wonderful life"? That movie was shot in black and white and plays more than "Jingle all the way".

It's not the equipment. It's how you use it.

OP, the very first short i made was with a broken camera. I had nothing else and the camera i had broke 2 days before my other planned short. While using the zoom, something happened inside and from then on there was a constant whirring sound and everything was out of focus. Needless to say i was angry. After calming down a bit, i took on a very determined approach, penned a short story which would go along with an out of focus shot and filmed it. It was just a minute and a half long but i made whatever i had work for me.

Do the same, pen something that serves your current equipment. Then it will look as if your choice in equipment was appropriate for the story. And off you go.

I really love this place. Thank you everyone for your replies and tips. I am definately pumped for this project i thought may not have been worth it because I can't shoot it with the best quality cameras.

Thanx!!!!!!

I m new to this forum...in fact this is my 1st thread, but i can't explain to you how excited I am, seeing ur comments. Thanx!!! to all who posted comments ........ feel myself more strengthened & dedicated

As is my usual function I'm going to remind you that "Sound is half of the experience". Although they are not aware of it your audience is used to "Hollywood" quality sound. Work through your script thinking about the sound. Plan your sound during preproduction. Select locations with sound in mind. Take the time - and get the right equipment and personnel - to capture your sound properly while shooting. After all, the dialog you crafted so carefully is sound. It won't matter is you use a consumer camcorder or a Panaflex if the audience cannot hear the dialog clearly and without sonic distractions. Take your time with the audio post and listen on a decent audio system in a reasonably quiet room.

You may want to check out my blogs here on IndieTalk regarding production sound.

I will check them out indeed thank you. You're right sound is very important unless I'm doing a silent film (which i am not) sound is almost more important than visuals.

awesome thread its reigniting the passion i thought i had lost since i have a cheapo camera too i love it............. thank u cant wait to do the Script Frenzy and the 48hour film festival and my shorts enroute to my feature

Back