Technology degrade?

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone knew how much the prices of technology such as camcorders would be in three years? If I wanted an HVX200 original in 2-3 years, how much cheaper would it be? It doesn't have to be that specific camera, but if a camcorder was 1 year old, it would be blank $ cheaper.

This has always been a big question to many people so if you know how, great appreciation will come from myself and so many others.

Thanks in advance!!!
DigitalRoots

All equipment will depreciate, I think the rate of depreciation depends on the quality and durability of the product. For high end gear, you can talk to an insurance company, they might actually have actuary tables that detail this exactly..

My lovely new canon hfs100 will likely go for 60% of its new price as early as next year, but a new Prosumer or pro camcorder will retain more of its value for longer, as it has a longer life expectancy, higher build quality and the pro factor!

There is also true value factors.. for example, a really good camera gets a reputation for being "a great camera" and the price stays higher for longer even though other camera of similar quality and age are going for much less.

AlcoveAudio makes a great point (in other post on numerous occasions) that audio gear seems to retain, and even appreciate in value over time.. This is very true. My own experience regarding the Octava o12A and Rhode NT1 mics prove this.. I bought both these mics NEW and they are now worth MORE than what I paid. You cant buy them new for the same price.. crazy!

However, when it comes to TECH, he true cost is seldom the price you pay for something. In the IT world you hear the term TCO or Total Cost of Ownership... as it turns out, the retail price for an pc and its software, it a VERY small portion of the TOC. I haven't applied this concept to video equipment, but Im sure a clever lad could do so and derive some utility from that exercise..

Last edited:
Back