Sony FX7 & Adobe Premiere (Firewire) Help?

Hi everyone. I hope this section is appropriate for my question. Let me first outline my tools:

I have a SONY FX7 HDV Camcorder. It records to MINIdv tapes.

I am trying to upload footage to my computer, which has a firewire 1394a Port.

I have a 1394 IEEE Firewire cable.. 4 PIN - 4 PIN.

My editing program is Adobe Premiere Pro CS4.

==============

I have my firewire plugged into my camera, and to my computer FW port.
I enter Adobe Premiere, and go to "CAPTURE"... but it keeps saying that the "Capture Device is Offline"... I tried this in Sony Vegas as well... and it also says that the "Device [is] not Available"

I just don't understand why it is saying this, and was hoping that someone could tell me what I am doing wrong?

The camera doesn't even seem to be reading the cable, but I don't know if it's supposed to display an obvious graphic that shows that it is connected; same for my computer. The "connected device" sound doesnt play, but.. should it???? Do you think it's my firewire cable? It's new. This is my first time uploading from this camera, and using Adobe Premiere.

Thank you in advance for your answers, and patience. If you need to ask me a question, PLEASE do, and I'll answer it as best as I can. I admire you all. You are all awesome, so I figured I could depend on you guys for help. :)

Last edited:
I'm not a computer techy by any stretch, but I use Premiere and a firewire.

I've found I will this message if my firewire isn't COMPLETELY plugged in on both ends-depending on my "play" you have at both ports.

Another suggestion-are you using the firewire that came with your hardware(don't know your computer history), or a third party off the shelf one? Is it possible to get borrow another one and see if it connects?

I have both, and both work fine(though my "Yahoo" 3rd party one has the fitting problem I mentioned). There should be an icon or something that suggests new hardware has been added(at least on mine it does). Also obvious stuff like making sure ports and plug ends are clean.

I'm sure there are more technical stuff which others will suggest :)

Another suggestion-are you using the firewire that came with your hardware(don't know your computer history), or a third party off the shelf one? Is it possible to get borrow another one and see if it connects?

I am using one I bought off of ebay. No brand name. haha. The camera did not come with an "ilink" cable. The cable i bought says that it is sony ilink compatible... but no luck.

Thank you for your reply!

I had a problem with that same camera, a few years back, with Adobe CS1

Couldn't get the thing to connect at all. Ended up having a friend import the tapes for me, on his Mac.

Never had a problem with any other camers, SD or HDV, aside from that one. It's cursed. :)

Wheatgrinder: There are no yello exclaimation marks and/or yellow triangles.

It's actually a lap top, and it's very new. I bought it around Christmas time... it's a powerhouse, so it's surprising to me that it's having this trouble; It's an Alienware. *love* and yes. It's a Windows 7 os.

As far as Chipset... it's a RICOH 1394a OCHI--- which I heard was kind of crappy. Driver version 6.1.7600.16385.

Zensteve: That REALLY sucks to hear.. beyond belief. I can totally try to sell it though. One reason I bought it was that I knew I wouldn't be committed to this camera. I just wanted to try it out.. and see how it was. I love it.... but it sucks that this issue came up...

I'd really love to solve this issue and avoid selling it. Did you ever figure out a solution to that????

PS: Any recommendations for HDV cameras in the FX7 price range?????

Stupid question, but your camera is on when capturing right? (Don't slag me, I'm just looking at all angles :) I've done it myself).

If it is saying that device is not available, or offline, it probably means the computer knows something is there, but isn't recognizing it.

I'm suspecting that the issue might be with the camera end-the plug isn't fitting properly, or whathave you.

I noticed you said about the camera not coming with a cable. I was meaning the software for the computer. When I had my card installed, it came with a firewire. But depending how long ago it was, it may be lost to time.

Do you know anyone else with a camera and cable that you could test it with. Only other suggestions I can think of are to buy another firewire cable(keep the receipt and make sure it's returnable) and test it. The other thing may be there's something loose or not connecting.

A pity it was a no name brand and you don't know the history(although a computer store would probably be able help you with that as well-you can show them the numbers on the side, they could interpret it.) The other, cringing option, is that the wire is actually busted internally(then you've got an issue from the guy you bought it from). If there were another camera/computer combination you could use to test it, it would help.

If I have anything more I'll let you know :)

Last edited:
Thank you for your response Tinalera!

There is no such thing as a stupid question, but yes; The camera IS on... and in VCR Playback mode. :) I rewound the tape to the very beginning as well, as one should, prior to connecting.

I actually bought a new cable off of ebay. I'm hoping that it will work. The first one I bought was also online... and I didn't realize it, but it was shipped from Hong Kong. It was only a buck... so.. whatever.

I am going to see my friend tomorrow who also have a camera that shoots on MiniDV. She's going to help me get the stuff that I need off of it so I can continue to work, and then... we will run tests on it. I seriously think it's the cable....!!

My computer is very new, as I said... so I doubt it's the firewire card... it doesn't make sense to me.

Please, if you do come up with something, I'd love to know!!!

Does anyone else have any more ideas? :)

Nope. It ain't. :)

Yeah.... I'm curious for the "why" as well. :) I really don't understand how this camera can just "NOT" function like every other camera, yet... if you go on YouTube... you see a crap load of videos made with the FX7. lol. I've contacted people asking about this problem... and no one has heard of this. Bizarre, really.

I'm so very happy that it worked, because it really is a good camera for me at this point in time. Sorry to hear of your troubles, Zensteve. I do, however, thank you for replying to this thread, even though you didn't exactly provide GOOD news LOL! Hopefully I don't run into another snag like that.

What camera are you currently using? :)

Congrats! :)

Happy to hear that the new cable is working well-so I wonder what was with the old cable? Guess it doesn't matter, you're in business again!

You must have done a bit of a dance when it worked!

Congrats! :)

Happy to hear that the new cable is working well-so I wonder what was with the old cable? Guess it doesn't matter, you're in business again!

You must have done a bit of a dance when it worked!

I wanted to cry when it worked haha. I was so excited.

The "old" cable was sent from damn Hong Kong... so I had to wait 4 weeks for it to come in. lol. I didn't realize it at the time that I bought it. So, I'm guessing that it was either A) damaged along the way, although there is no evidence of that B) Falsely advertised as i-link compatible or B) Just a phoney wire. Who knows?

My new wire works... that's all that matters. I love my FX7.... I named her Bigelow, after Kathryn who won the Oscar. I wanted to name it Cameron... but I sorta made a bet with one of my friends haha. :)

Thank you all for your help. You are all amazing... and I look forward to becoming more involved here. :)

I wanted to cry when it worked haha. I was so excited.

The "old" cable was sent from damn Hong Kong... so I had to wait 4 weeks for it to come in. lol. I didn't realize it at the time that I bought it. So, I'm guessing that it was either A) damaged along the way, although there is no evidence of that B) Falsely advertised as i-link compatible or B) Just a phoney wire. Who knows?

My new wire works... that's all that matters. I love my FX7.... I named her Bigelow, after Kathryn who won the Oscar. I wanted to name it Cameron... but I sorta made a bet with one of my friends haha. :)

Thank you all for your help. You are all amazing... and I look forward to becoming more involved here. :)

Remember to report it to Ebay about the wire. They pay VERY close attention to people who try to send junk-you may not get your money back, but it'll will go on the sellers "reputation" score. Of course, as you said, maybe it got damaged in transit. I would report it anyway-but that's me :)

Remember to report it to Ebay about the wire. They pay VERY close attention to people who try to send junk-you may not get your money back, but it'll will go on the sellers "reputation" score. Of course, as you said, maybe it got damaged in transit. I would report it anyway-but that's me :)

I should, but, it was only $1.00, literally. lol. So.. it's not really too concerning to me. I was very skeptical when I even purchased it. Most of the wires are listed in that price range... but then there are some that go to $30.00. I spent $5.00 on the wire that worked.. so.. I can't be bothered. I'm happy it works! haha :) But yeah- totally thought about reporting him hahaha but I think it got damaged.. and there's really nothing to do about that. :) haha

Back