First Ad

At Netlfix Us Sinners has 104 ratings and 7 reviews. Yet, when I look through numerous horror forums there's not a mention of anyone seeing it. So, as a belated Christmas present Karen has given me a half page ad in the April issue of Gorezone magazine. It comes from the UK, and I'm told their circulation is about 300,000 worldwide.

The ad is really nice and contains three blurbs:

A mini-masterpiece of depravity and disfunction" Killing Boxx

A must have for hardcore horror fans - Int'l Horror Film Society

Every horror-thriller fan should see this - Horror Society

It'll be in the first half of the magazine.

Will rentals go up significantly? Will I sell copies through this ad? Give the odds... Taking Bets

I got my answer, nothing. What a worthless piece of shit ad that turned out to be.

The messed up part (and I'm gearing for a fight) I bought an ad in the May issue 55. Which was available April 8. For half the month of April on-line they advertised the March issue as the latest. Then mid April it changed over to the June issue. It completely bypassed the May issue.

For my money I was suppose to get a link on their site. Nothing. Not even a response as to why it's not there. I shouldn't have paid so quickly. Issue 55 is now listed in their back issues. It's one of the only ones without a cover photo.

I went to my local Barnes and Noble and they still have issue 54, I have to see if 55 or 56 comes in. If it's 56 I'm gonna be pissed.

If what you said is true then it looks like they failed in their duty of care to their advertisers to produce an issue of there magazine which was comparable to their other issues (for which you based your ad dollars expenditure on). Almost to the brink of non-performance it would seem.

I don't know how much money is involved, but as Dreadylocks said, check your contract and enquire with a lawyer on your options (also consider writing a formal letter to the editor requesting your money back).

[FYI - I'm Not a lawyer, the above is not legal advice]

Can you give a little more information about the cost of the ad, and possibly the kind of return on investment you were expecting (or was it simply to get more views), and what the final result was (even though your ad may not have been seen by as many as expected)?

There's a reason why you hardly see any advertising for indie movies - it doesn't pay off! For every dollar spent, you're lucky if you make 5 cents back. Only filmmakers who don't know what they're doing and with money to burn will advertise an indie film, and they throw away their money.
I learned this a long time ago by reading a book by Tim Sweeney about the business of indie CD distribution. The only way to promote a CD is to get FREE publicity in magazines, on radio, etc. Promoting an indie movie is TOUGHER because no radio station can "air" a movie. That leaves you with print and online promotion. TV shows like Entertainment Tonight and Access Hollywood are great promotion, but when was the last time they hyped up an indie movie other than Blair Witch, Open Water, or Paranormal Activity? You get the idea.

Last edited:
I was told by many marketers that .01% of viewers will respond to an ad. I expected some hits on my site. Not one. 330,000 circulation and not one hit. I'm hoping that the issue just hasn't been released yet. But, they're advertising 56, so... I have legitimate complaints like the lack of banner and I specifically asked for the front half of the issue, and US is on page 55 of 78. I'll get somethng, but as of now it's a complete failure. the cost was 450.

I would hope more than .01% respond. Because if that is true, the ad was only expected to yield 33 responders.

For $450 you can look into very targeted keyword google pay per click keywords. Offering google 50 cents you'd get atleast ~1000 viewers to your site. Not sure what your conversion ratio would be from there.

Internet advertising is way over rated. When people buy something online, they KNOW what they are looking for and find it. It's rare that people stumble upon something and decide "Hey I think I'll buy that". The best "advertising" on Internet is simply SEO (search engine optimization) as well as using YouTube.

Last edited:
Do you think it's possible that a magazine with a circulation of over 250,000 (they say closer to 400,000. But, I'm low-balling) and supposedly a website with over 25000 hits a month could produce absolutely nothing?

Forget the print ad, because people have to physically type the website name. But, a site that has on it's front page a banner ad (listed amongst others) would not generate one hit to my site.

I find that completely unbelievable.

I have numerous hits a month from a site that has Us Sinners listed at the bottom (alphabetically) of their links. Yet not one hit from the well-known Gorezone site.

That's fucked up.

Back