Should I get a better camera?

Ok, so last week, I ordered a so-so camera from B&H Photo-video.
This one.
Its not a bad camera, but now Im thinking that I should have made a bigger investment and gotten a (much) better camera. It arrived at my house on Wednesday, so I can still return it and get a better one if I decide to within the next week or two.

I spent $530 on it, but I have (technically) a little over $1800 remaining in my equipment budget. However, that's for any and all equipment I would purchase in the next year or so, not just a camera(s).

The reason I say "technically" is that, while I *have* approximately $4500 in my savings, thats my entire life savings, and I have over $15500 remaining in student loans. Most of that $4500 is from a refund check I got from my school, because I was charged for some classes that I never took because I was exempt from them.
The only reason Im even buying anything at all with this money is that Im already paid ahead on my loans by almost $1000, and none of my loans go into repayment for another year or so.
Obviously, I want to spend as little as possible, but I also want the best camera I can get.
If I do return the camera I already bought, that would bring my budget up to around $2300. (Not $2330 cause I'd have to pay for return shipping.)
Since this $1800 (or $2300 if I return the camera I already have) is my budget for everything I may need for filming, I'd like to find as good a camera as I can for around $1400, or less if at all possible.
Im currently looking around for the best camera I can get within my budget, but in the meantime, maybe you could all shoot some ideas my way?
The main things Im looking for are:
  • Low price (obviously)
  • A good optical zoom, preferably 15x or more, but no less than 10x.
  • Interchangeable lenses. I dont care if if it only comes with one lens, as long as the lens can be changed.
  • Manual zoom and focus rings.
  • External mic inputs

Right now Im looking mostly on bhphotovideo.com, but after I get a good idea of my options there, I'll be looking around other sites.
If anyone could point me towards some other good equipment sites, it'd be a great help.

Thanks in advance, everyone!

EDIT:
Ok, I've found one that looks pretty good, and its right where I want it in terms of price!
Its a Panasonic AG-DVC20.
Its got all the things I was most interested in:
  • Low price; Its $1195
  • Good optical zoom; 10x with the included lens. If I absolutely have to zoom more than that, it has 500x digital zoom.
  • Interchangeable lenses; it APPEARS that the lens is able to be switched out, but I cant tell for sure.
  • Manual zoom and focus; it has exactly the type of zoom and focus I wanted.
  • External mic inputs; it has it.
I can also order it as a kit, which gets an extra battery, a carrying case, and a wide-angle lens attachment.
Adding the kit stuff only raises the price to $1399, which is RIGHT within my desired price range.
The reviews were pretty good, 4.5 out 5 from 24 reviews.

Any thoughts on this camera? Im also still looking for any suggestions for better cameras.

Last edited:
What do you want to do with the camera? Make short movies? Weddings? Make money or have fun?

I recommend going for a HDV camera so you'll be future proof. Take a look at the HVR-HD1000U at $1500 or the Canon VIXIA HF S11 for $1058. Now you'll have to make sure your computer can handle HDV. Then get a decent tripod ($300-500) and shotgun mic($200-300) with adaptor cable for XLR to mini. If you have any money left check out eBay for a inexpensive light kit.

Scott

The camera does not have interchangable lenses. You won't find a camera under $3000 with changable lenses, and even those between $3-10,000 will only have a few lenses specific to its body.

You can always solve this problem with a 35mm adapter, but thats another $2,000 and even more for lenses.

If I was you, I'd rent.

Cameras are usually a bad investment unless your a DP.

If you do buy, buy used, you'll save more then you'd end up selling your new one for down the line.

Cameras are also not what makes a film a film. Other factors are JUST as important like lighting, sound, acting, set design, etc.

What do you want to do with the camera? Make short movies? Weddings? Make money or have fun?
Oops. Derr, yeah. That'd probably be helpful huh?
Well, as I said, I graduated from PTI for video production and editing, so I could do some freelance stuff with the right equipment. But at the same time, I'd rather get a job with an existing company than try to start from scratch...
I'll most likely use it primarily for short films and recording family events, (Graduations, birthdays, family reunions, stuff like that) while doing the occasional freelance job.

As for the two cameras you recommended, they both look pretty good, but I have a few concerns with them.
Both of the cameras suggested have CMOS rather than CCD. I think that CCD will be preferable for my purposes. From what I understand, one of the main differences between CCD and CMOS is that CCDs usually require more off-chip machinery and use more power, and result in bigger cameras, but they produce superior image quality. If this is incorrect, please let me know what the real differences are.

The next thing is that the Canon VIXIA HF S11 only has a small amount of flash memory. This allows me much less recording time than the 120 GB HDD of the Sony HDR-XR200V, which I currently have. The CMOS of the Sony HDR-XR200V is also much better than the CMOS of the Canon VIXIA HF S11. The Sony also has a touchscreen, and the Canon doesn't.
In fact, the Canon seems to be very similar to the Sony, only more expensive and with fewer/inferior features.
So for now, Im gonna eliminate the Canon VIXIA HF S11 as a possibility. I think I'd better off just keeping the Sony HDR-XR200V and saving $500.

As for the Sony HVR-HD1000U, it seems that it has a maximum recording time of 63 minutes. The Panasonic AG-DVC20 has a maximum recording time of 80 minutes, even though both cameras use Mini-DV.
As I said, the Panasonic has a 3-CCD system, and the Sony has a CMOS. I think that CCD will serve me better than CMOS. They both seem the same in terms of audio, and the Panasonic is 1.5 pounds lighter. The Sony also lacks a Firewire output, and the Panasonic has better power consumption.

To top it all off, the Sony is slightly outside my desired price range by itself, and the Panasonic is right within my desired range, even with a kit. By itself, the Panasonic is actually on the lower end of what I wanted to spend.

Thanks for the help, and please send me any more ideas if you have them.
But I think, at least for now, the Panasonic AG-DVC20 is still my best option.

If I missed anything or maybe misunderstood some of the specs, please let me know.

The camera does not have interchangable lenses. You won't find a camera under $3000 with changable lenses, and even those between $3-10,000 will only have a few lenses specific to its body.

I have the very same model, and I simply bought a step-up-ring in order to fit my old wide conversion lens on it. Works like a charm. :yes:

So, it is true, you canĀ“t change lenses, but you can always put a conversion one on top.

/Johan

Oops, sorry CDCosta. I didnt see your post.
I dont claim to be an expert on lenses, but the page lists several additional lenses for the camera under the accessories tab. Why would it list all those lenses as accessories for this camera if it couldn't use them?

EDIT: I think we be referring to different items when we say "lenses". I dont mean the actual internal lens, inside the body of the camera. I mean a lens, like the type you can just screw onto the front of the camera.
Like this.

Last edited:
That's a lens attachment that screws on like a filter, you are not changing lenses, you will never get away from the qualities of the fixed lens, you will only be altering.

No, you have classic buyers remorse.

When you bought that camera you figured it met your needs.. so whats changed?

Of course, this assumes that you did your research, went and looked and REAL cameras in the store, scoured the internet for information on the camera you settled on..

Oh wait, Im the guy who bought a canon HF200 and took it back a week later and bought a FHS100, so never mind.. feed the beast, buy a new camera..

Of course, this assumes that you did your research, went and looked and REAL cameras in the store, scoured the internet for information on the camera you settled on..

Oh wait, Im the guy who bought a canon HF200 and took it back a week later and bought a FHS100, so never mind.. feed the beast, buy a new camera..

Ah, Wheatgrinder, you took it back? You could have given it to me! I'm having to make due with a Canon 930 Camcorder;)

It sounds like you want to do freelancing and maybe get on bigger productions. I would agree with the posters of using some of that money for mics, good tripod(emphasis on GOOD....my level dome doesn't seem to know what "level" is:lol:.

And maybe it's just the way I was raised, but becareful not to fall into having to have "the best", like computers, you'll never have it, there will always be something better on the shelves in 3 months. I've seen absolutely gorgeous short films done with camcorders and good lighting and sound, and I've seen some truly poor film by someone bragging about having the latest X1A4G21-000 hike, hike, hike! camera, because they thought having a high end camera was all that as needed to make quality film.

Get what you're comforable with, and if freelancing as already said, see what the type is expected. Most of all, have fun :)

Just a heads up. Most prod co. Ask for certian cameras when getting a freelancer. Mostly the better, more popular cameras like dvx, hvx, hpx, ex, etc.
I was actually planning on doing freelance stuff on my own, not for companies. Id probably puts ads on craigslist and stuff like that. Most likely filming small local events, stuff that people wouldn't really need a company for. Thanks for the tip, though.

Its not buyers remorse. I was, and still am perfectly happy with the first camera I bought, but ONLY for smaller-scale, less important stuff. When I ordered the HDR-XR200V, I was planning on using it mainly for goofy personal projects, because I was planning on going back to school for an IT degree, since I cant find any jobs at all with my Multimedia degree. Then I thought about it some more, and I realized that just because I was getting a second degree, didn't mean my first degree was worth any less. I figured I can go get my IT degree, while still using my multimedia degree for side projects and freelance stuff.
Hence, I would need a better camera.
Another thing that changed was my idea of what a "good" camera was. I bought the HDR-XR200V, then I went and looked around at what other people were using, what others recommended. Everywhere I looked, people said that the least you'd want to invest in a decent camera is $1200-$2000. I only spent $500, so I went and looked around at the capabilities of my camera VS other cameras, and I realized it wouldn't meet my needs for anything but goofy videos and home movies.
I had the money to get a better one, and I figured it'd be better to get a good/better one now and have it for when I need it than keep the so-so little one, and end up short when I need a better camera for a project.

but becareful not to fall into having to have "the best", like computers, you'll never have it, there will always be something better on the shelves in 3 months.
Im all too aware of the instantly-obsolete nature of modern technology. I never try to go for "the best", especially since thats a relative term. The best computer for video might not be the best for biological research. I DO, however, try to get the best for my needs that I can afford.

Anyway, I've already submitted my RMA request, and Im gonna ship the Sony HDR-XR200V back later today or tomorrow. Im gonna go with the Panasonic AG-DVC20. Im also considering this tripod.
It seems to suit my needs, and its well within my budget.

I really like that you're doing your research. I know that I did tons before most of my buys.

The differences between CCD and CMOS power consumption isn't that big a deal. Get more batteries. Also on the record times with the Canon, you can get bigger storage cards or buy a couple extra smaller ones. I do tend to like CCDs. The chip in the Canon Vixia HF S11 is 1/2.6" (that's a half inch chip) where the chip in the Panasonic is 1/6", that's a lot smaller chip. Your Sony has a 1/5" chip which less than half the size of the Canon. In cameras, chip size is king. As to recording times, unless you're taping really long things like 24 hours of surveillance, that's not a big issue. I tape tons of things a year and rarely (like 3 times a year) do I need long record times of over 60 min. I'm no fan of hard drive recording. Too many moving parts.

Regarding the Sony HVR-HD1000, it does have firewire. It's listed as i.LINK interface (IEEE 1394, 4-Pin Connector). It can record up to 80 min if you load an 80 min tape. (And if you decide to use Panasonic tapes you can get 83 min.) The Sony has one 1/2" CMOS chip Vs. the Panasonic AG-DV20s three 1/6 inch chips. That's kind of equal. Again the key difference is standard definition vs. HD and the Sony wins there. Clients want to shoot HD. I will admit that that I will shoot HD, but deliver standard def, but in the end HD converted down to standard def will always look better than standard def.

It's your call and you know what you're going to use the camera for. Also, if you go HD you'll need a computer that can handle HD. I just wanted to take some time to cleat up some issues.

Good luck camera hunting.

Scott

Back