might be a dumb question

Do you make money when your film is shown at a film festival? I'm curious, because on IMDB, I see a lot of films that have a small box office gross or something, but they haven't been picked up for distribution or anything. It seems they have only been selected for competition at a few film festivals, and screened there.
When I say small box office I mean $15,000 - $60,000 (according to IMDB).

Do you make money when your film is shown at a film festival? I'm curious, because on IMDB, I see a lot of films that have a small box office gross or something, but they haven't been picked up for distribution or anything. It seems they have only been selected for competition at a few film festivals, and screened there.
When I say small box office I mean $15,000 - $60,000 (according to IMDB).

The only to be made from a film festival is if it offers cash prizes for awards. Some filmmaker MAY include this as box office gross, but technically it is not from box office ticket sales.

Mostly that kind of income is from what they call "FOUR WALLING", which is the filmmakers rent the screen from the theater and sell tickets directly, or they have an arrangement with the movie theater to split the box office of all tickets sold.

The only to be made from a film festival is if it offers cash prizes for awards. Some filmmaker MAY include this as box office gross, but technically it is not from box office ticket sales.

Mostly that kind of income is from what they call "FOUR WALLING", which is the filmmakers rent the screen from the theater and sell tickets directly, or they have an arrangement with the movie theater to split the box office of all tickets sold.

Yep, I "four Wallled" my last film about half a dozen times and made most of my budget back.

I four walled HORRORS OF WAR and did okay, not great, but okay. We sold out in NEW YORK and that was a great way to end our Four Wall tour, coast to coast.

Film Festivals do not ever share the box office gross with filmmakers, at least not beyond prize money, but it's usually not related to ticket sales.

Just curious, what does it take to 'tour' a film? Seems like the idea would be to travel across the country, renting screens in various large cities where a target audience is sure to be found, while possibly hosting meet&greets in the theater with the director and actors and such, all the while making a bit of money. I could be all wrong :P. But in any case, this idea seems fun.

Back