Can anyone explain in laymens terms:

"Accepts films and shorts in 35mm, DigiBeta, Beta SP Video and PAL (NTSC is perferred)"

They have a list of ratios at the bottom which mean nil to me.

"Accepts films and shorts in 35mm, DigiBeta, Beta SP Video and PAL (NTSC is perferred)"

Yeah, they'll accept any of those formats. The "PAL (NTSC Preferred)" meaning a DVD.

Is that the submission copy or the Exhibition copy? After my last festival experience, I'll not let them exhibit a DVD again, tested, tested, and tested again, and it still froze for a moment both times they showed it. I'll cough up the money for Digibeta.

This sounds like what they need for projection, not the screener. It all depends on how they are set up, and a lot won't take DVDs because of writing errors, etc.

When I see something like digibeta I am thinking Betamax.
I am trying to understand what that means to me. If I have a small hd camera and made a movie what do I do for them? I am using a digital movie camera not one that requires tapes. Or is that not what they are looking for?
I ask this because this is a film festival closest to me and something quite small.

So I guess what I am asking is: If I am using a digital camera (sdhc card) and make some short short movie. What do I do reguarding those required formats?

35mm? I always thought of 35mm as being just still photographs.

Last edited:

I read it again and it states 'show' for the above.

To submit it asks for dvd preferred but must be ntsc.

So what is ntsc???

NTSC is the standard video format for the united states and a few other countries around the world. You more than likely have a NTSC camcorder unless you purchased it from the UK who use PAL as their standard.

I read it again and it states 'show' for the above.

To submit it asks for dvd preferred but must be ntsc.

So what is ntsc???

When you "author" a DVD copy of your film it can either be PAL or NTSC. NTSC is more common. The DVDs you buy at a store are NTSC. They'll also most likely want it to be "Region 0" which means it will play on any DVD player anywhere in the world. DVDs CAN have region codes on them. They do this to stop a DVD intended for the market in Zamibia being imported back into the US. A Region 2 DVD won't play on a Region 3 DVD player. The solution is a "Region 0" DVD that will play on any DVD player. In short, what they want is a copy of your movie, burned onto a DVD as NTSC Region 0.

Most screeners will be DVD, don't worry about projection formats unless you get accepted. You can get a DigiBeta quickly and easily at a duplication or post-production house, but it will cost between $75-250 so hold off.

When I see something like digibeta I am thinking Betamax.
So I guess what I am asking is: If I am using a digital camera (sdhc card) and make some short short movie. What do I do reguarding those required formats?

Here are three links that might help:

DigiBeta is a tape format that many festivals use to screen their movies
It’s not Betamax. If you choose to use this format you will need
to have your finished movie transferred at a professional post house.

35mm? I always thought of 35mm as being just still photographs.
35mm film is the standard format for both shooting and projection in
the US. Many festivals still project films from a 35mm projector. Very few
filmmakers will use this option. You won't.

So what is ntsc???
This Wiki article goes in way more info than you really need, but it can’t
hurt to take a quick glance at it. Everything you shoot on digital video
here in the States will automatically be NTSC.

Another question about wording:

One festival states it does not accepts avi files burned to discs. So what does that mean? I looked up avi and I saw was some class action lawsuit.

Why wouldn't a festival accept it?

One festival states it does not accepts avi files burned to discs. So what does that mean? I looked up avi and I saw was some class action lawsuit.

Why wouldn't a festival accept it?

avi files are good quality, they just don't want to deal with a million formats. If you are gonna get several hundred (thousand) submissions, you want just a few formats to make watching them easier.

Back