What is the best HD Camcorder for around $2000

Alright, so I have been looking around for the longest time for a good camcorder. Now unfortunantly I have the tightest budget alive and it sucks balls.

Im looking for a top of the line HD Consumer or Prosumer camcorder in the range from $1-$2,000.

Some that Ive been looking at are:
Canon Vixia HFS11 and/or 10

Canon Vixia HV30 and 40

Panasonic AG-HMC40 which looking at some test footage has nice quality but It is an outdated model and the newest model the Panasonic AG-HMC150 is around oh.... $6000.

Canon XH-A1 which is obviously my top choice but I can't fork over $4000. Im poooooor.

So basically, help :( In your opinion, what is the top of the top HD camcorder (consumer or prosumer) thats around $1 to $2,000. MAYBE more. Idk!

I just don't want to waste alot of that munz on a camcorder when it turns out I could spend the same or less on another one thats better.

Opinions? :)
thanks

Here's the deal bro. I'm in the same boat as you are but, I've done alot more research.

Your budget is one of your criteria as is mine. The other two are 24p, manual focus, xlr input(optional), mini dv or solid state.

Here is what I came up with. Consumer cams: Canon hv40 around 600 bucks, 1080p, 24p native, minidv with firewire, great reviews, but manual focus is very limited. And the canon hfs10 is basically the same cam just solid state cards. By the time you ad a 35mm adapter and lenses, add a xlr input device, your looking at around 1300 plus.

If you go the canon xh a1s, its gonna cost you about 2300-2700 bucks but great controls, manual focus, xlr inputs and 1080i 24p, minidv with firewire. Lens is phenomenal and you can get decent dof shots off the bat with it. You can shoot for the canon xl h1a which is the bigger brother to the xh a1s and it has removable lenses but will run you 3000+ used.

I just came across the panasonic ag-hmc40. It's 1080p, 24p native, solid state recording, 10mp photo, hdmi output, touchscreen display and will cost around 1600 and is about 6 months old.

Outside of these, I would say start saving money on a good set of mic's, booms, a good tripod, and lights.

Personally I could have gotten a canon xh a1s for 2k but I think I want to move away from 1080i but may consider minidv if a canon xl h1a lands in my lap for under 2500. Right now the panasonic looks like the best bang for the buck.

Hope it helps man.

I started with photography as a hobby, but am in the process of expanding into video. It seems both hobbies have a common theme when it comes to budget. Try to avoid putting all your eggs in one basket.

Here's what I've chosen around the same $2k mark:
Canon S11 for $1100
BP-827 LI battery $121.99
Cold Shoe Adapter $29.99 <- to turn the mini-acc mount into a full-size shoe
Sennheiser MKE400 $298.85 <-kit includes the windsock and a couple random accessories
Canon Wide-Angle $269.27
Manfrotto 701HDV $124.95 <- fluid pan/tilt head that fits a standard photo tripod
Canon Bat. Chrg $49.88
I expect to also need to invest in some software once I try some demos.

Can't say it's the right choice for everyone, but it should be a solid foundation.

The S11 (and newer S21/etc) allow for a LANC connection if you buy the $100 accessory. That should provide better focus controls. But expect another $200-500 total investment

Another plus (for me) is that the S11 is small enough that I can sell it to the wife as the "family vacation camcorder" as well as a toy.

Nick

Back