• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Like a Butterfly

Here is our latest film. Our best project so far.
The whole film was shot in one day and edited in 3 days, so we are also proud of that too.

We had 2 cameras, a semi professional and a normal HD camera. We use the later very little for the final cut due to the difference of quality, still some angles were needed to fill the blanks.

We don't consider ourselves professionals, so being proud doesn't mean that we think we are great.
Still we are hoping that our next project has enough quality to be able to send to a festival, so please give us feedback to make our work better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CaJF-diBdL4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CaJF-diBdL4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Watch in HD here

I hope you enjoy at least half of what we enjoyed doing it.

Comment/Share/Ask/Destroy, all is welcome!

Well, it was a great attempt and it is clear that you are passionate about your work, which is a very good thing. However there are some things that you may want to improve upon for your next project.

For starters I would get some kind of boom mic. The whole piece had a lot of echo to it. I would also do some studying of lighting. This piece was so flat and had no mood. Lighting can do a lot to add to a scene and make the audience feel a certain way. Also if I were you I would study more on shot design. Learning how to not just set up a camera but also make the shot look interesting and cinematic. Pacing is another big issue. Look into how to pace a movie better and that can be anything from shot selection to editing to music, the list goes on and on.

My last piece of advice is the fact that it was shot in one day and edited in three. I don't want to sound harsh but I can tell you only took four days on the piece. That isn't necessarily a good thing. To me that screams, we didn't want to spend any time on preproduction or the production. I am always more impressed with a piece where it took people several months from concept to completion because that shows they want to get it right and won't rush the project.

Anyway keep making movies and these are just some of my thoughts. Good luck.

Thanks Broosky, critic is always welcome.

Regarding the shooting and short editing time, I know it's not a good thing... not proud that we did it that quickly, but that we could do it that quickly.
It's always hard to get actors available, mainly when everyone has normal jobs and I ask them to spend a week-end on a film that will be seen by a few people. Also in a country where not everyone speaks english (noticed 3 different accents, none native English there?). So that's the reason for 1 day shooting.

3 days editing is a similar reason, resources and time availability. The person with the most experience is busy for the next weeks, so it was now or never. It's always nice to have time, but we don't have always that luxury :)

The echo was to give it a crude feeling, maybe not right, but that wasn't unintended. There were 2 mics used in the take, one was on a mic holder, the other on the floor. We didn't end up using the boom, maybe we should... but we missed another person that couldn't come that day.

I fully agree on lighting, we are working on that, although it's better than the last time we need to improve a lot.
We managed to get proper lights, but still no proper use of them other than setting some mood.

And Pacing, well, we missed a whole part due to technical problems... still it didn't bring a lot and it would have made the film too long for my taste. But we will look into that in the future.

Note that our budget was about 70$ (of which 40$ went on food and the rest on a tape and a light that we fused)... so that also kind explain.
You haven't seen our first films, did you?... this was like a quantum leap for us :)

Our film has been censored by youtube... why? I still don't know, I can give many examples of well known films that are present in youtube that are certainly more violent and degrading than this one.
Still we can't get hold of youtube to get an explanation. It just got removed.

Still it can be watched in here

Back