Honestly now-name one thing about you that others may find "unique"

This came up the other day. I was talking to someone who is still getting to know me. We were talking about interests, and I told them about my film making. And he asked for it. He asked "tell me something unique about yourself". So I told him "I collect female masks and related items." I was sure I was going to get a :hmm:, but he cracked a grin and said "that's pretty cool."

What do you do that is considered unique(for lack of a better term:lol:)It can be a hobby, it can be a ritual, something that you can say sets you apart from others :)

Only stuff you feel comfortable talking about, obviously ;)

That's pretty neat.:) I assume you get some Pavlov comments? ;)

It probably is a pretty underrated study...dogs are more intelligent than a lot of people give credit for I think.

Maybe. Dog psychology is actually the study of how dogs act when they are in packs. It has to do with pack mentality and how a dog owner can manipulate that so the dog sees the person as his/her master not just a playmate. It is what the TV show The Dog Whisperer is all about.

Maybe. Dog psychology is actually the study of how dogs act when they are in packs. It has to do with pack mentality and how a dog owner can manipulate that so the dog sees the person as his/her master not just a playmate. It is what the TV show The Dog Whisperer is all about.

Thanks for the clarification, sounds interesting :). I haven't watched the show, but I am aware of it. I should check it out.

As for my own hobby I mentioned, it's different to say the least. A couple of people I've told have tried to make amateur psychological analysis of why I do it:lol:. I think for me it's just an interest culturally in masks, and the faces I simply find intriguing :).

I find most everything interesting. I'm usually the one asking stupid questions about everything.

Right now I'm working in a manufacturing plant that creates superconductive copper wiring used in MRI MAGNETS. Okay, that's boring. But, the billets (wire) start out from 3" and 12' long with about 30 different tin and copper tubes enclosed, to 3' by 5' long with a hundred tin and copper tubes enclosed, and they are put through several machines till they're skinnier then a single wire you find in a telephone jack.

But, when I talk about my hobby it's going to concerts. I've been to well over a thousand starting with Led Zeppelin in 77.

I work at the Bristol Renaissance Faire in Kenosha, Wisconsin for the entire summer. I've played a wizard, a powder monkey and an inept pirate, all part of the cast. :D

It's part of what helped me get an interest in acting and video work. Lots of people who work there have worked with video at some point, and thus were able to help me with some things regarding the subject.

Last edited:
I work at the Bristol Renaissance Faire in Kenosha, Wisconsin for the entire summer. I've played a wizard, a powder monkey and an inept pirate, all part of the cast. :D

It's part of what helped me get an interest in acting and video work. Lots of people who work there have worked with video at some point, and thus were able to help me with some things regarding the subject.

HA! I live right near Kenosha and have never been to the Faire but have driven past it several times. Do you know J.D. Fountain?

Wow, good responses :)

ussinners-I think I saw something like that(the wiring)on a show called "How it's made" once, it was pretty interesting-1000 concerts since 77? That works out to like 1 concert every ten days! :) Last Concert I went to was Def Leppard a couple of years ago-fun time! What was one of your favorites? My first was Madonna(yea I was a huge fan back when), but probably my favorite an artist by the name of Lawrence Gowan-he's the lead singer for Styx now, but I liked his solo stuff.

Randy Ericksen-24 hours, wow! I don't know much about Mountain Biking, but I assume were allowed to change off with another rider every 2-3 hours-or is it solo? Interesting to say the least!

aceofspades70-it's easy to say "that's not unique", but it probably is either where you live or something relative to others you know. I actually don't drink it, and that makes me unique among others I know lol. Nothing to do with morals or anything, it comes across as bitter tasting-the question is, how MUCH do you drink ;)

Yodaman-I've always wanted to go one of those fairs, haven't had the chance. An Inept pirate-how inept exactly? lol Sounds like a cool introduction to the field though. I've done my share of acting-still do it somewhat, though I prefer behind the scenes now.

TheBuck-whatever gets you through the day or night, man ;). I would ask "why", but who am I to ask it-so I won't lol.

Libby-actually I'm the same. I will let the phone pick up messages and call back later. Even in this day of call display, ect, it's hard. I think it's because I'm visual, and when I talk to people, I like to "read" them to see how things are going. Funny enough, I have no problem chatting on the internet, where I find people tend to be more open, and don't seem to have their guard up as much.

HA! I live right near Kenosha and have never been to the Faire but have driven past it several times. Do you know J.D. Fountain?

The name sounds vaguely familiar, but I'm not sure. There's a good chance I've talked to them before.

You should come to the faire! It's a great place to come and relax and get away from the workaday world. Back in '07 I even submitted a documentary about it for a film contest they were holding (it's here). That really helped me to get motivated and get a feel for working within deadlines on projects!
Unfortunately most of the people in that video aren't there anymore. The artistic director and his wife (Ron and Susan Fry) retired the year after that, Randall Anderson (the guy who played the Evil Sheriff) retired after that year, and most of the people I interviewed no longer play the parts they were talking about. It was three years ago though. :P

So yeah. See if you can't make it there this year. It really is a great place. :)

Love that place! I haven't been in years but it's really fun in this weird way :D

What would someone find unique about me? I was an exchange student to Warsaw in high school. But thousands and thousands of people have done that. Also, when I was growing up, Jane Goodall was my hero, I was obsessed with chimpanzees, lol.

Hard to find anything truly unique about yourself in a world of 6.6 billion people...

Love that place! I haven't been in years but it's really fun in this weird way :D

What would someone find unique about me? I was an exchange student to Warsaw in high school. But thousands and thousands of people have done that. Also, when I was growing up, Jane Goodall was my hero, I was obsessed with chimpanzees, lol.

Hard to find anything truly unique about yourself in a world of 6.6 billion people...

Hey, I'm getting people together who know the Faire-I should start charging! l:lol:

As far as "unique", I guess I meant it more in the sphere of peers or people you are just meeting for the first time . I originally was going to say "quirky" or "odd", but thought "unique" was more positive a word. :)
I do agree though about the world. I thought I was quirky(there I said it lol) with regards to female masks-I was surprised to discover there's websites and an industry based on it!

The exchange student stuff sounds like it was quite a learning experience! As for the Jane Goodall , that's great. Did it ever get to the point where you were deep in study about them? I remember learning in Modern Antropology in college about how intelligent they really are in regards to communication and possible abstract thought.

Lived in Tokyo for six months with a host family who didn't speak English, my daily commute to my school was through the old Edo period "Red light" district which now has a lot of ties to the Japanese mafia (Kabukicho if anyone was wondering). Also got warned if I see men in dark suits (a lot of them) I should avoid that area as much as possible...the only problem is that my school was across the street from a HQ, which had a lot of meetings. But I still managed not to offend any members of the mafia, so that's good.

I seem to fall a sleep during situations that would usually keep people up, earthquakes, tornadoes, typhoons etc.

Oh and I used to race circle dirt track while I was still in high school (all funded by my job at a grocery store bagging groceries).

Short of that I'm a fantastically plain person.

Lived in Tokyo for six months with a host family who didn't speak English, my daily commute to my school was through the old Edo period "Red light" district which now has a lot of ties to the Japanese mafia (Kabukicho if anyone was wondering). Also got warned if I see men in dark suits (a lot of them) I should avoid that area as much as possible...the only problem is that my school was across the street from a HQ, which had a lot of meetings. But I still managed not to offend any members of the mafia, so that's good.

I seem to fall a sleep during situations that would usually keep people up, earthquakes, tornadoes, typhoons etc.

Oh and I used to race circle dirt track while I was still in high school (all funded by my job at a grocery store bagging groceries).

Short of that I'm a fantastically plain person.

Hey, I said something unique, not typical! :lol:;)

Seriously, as far as the mafia-wow. I guess you really learned to look the other way if questionable things were going down with a group of black suited people. I would imagine just carrying on day to day business wouldn't bother them, that would have been quite the experience!

I'm surprised that a grocery store clerk allowed you to finance the circle track. My brother used to race road racing on bikes, and it got expensive!

Oh, and I'm building a hot rod piece by piece like they did back in the 50's and 60's.

Yeah, I pulled out of racing after I wrecked my car (due to other peoples stupidity). I was fine, but it got past what I could afford, so I moved on...to a point. I ended up modifying my truck after I was just going to "repair" a few things...ended up doubling the horsepower...whoops :lol:

Back