Terrible Things Distrobution

I am about to submit the film to a bunch of festivals, I am wondering what are ways to make the movie more appealing to these festivals. do you hand out fliers at the event? what can i do to help promote it a bit before it's judged. any ideas on ways to get a following?

also it's a horror movie. any ideas on good distributors to use for this genre?

This is my first film I have sought distribution for so i'm just looking for some last min pointers and things to expect and watch out for.
please feel free to email me.

Douglas Rowland II
nextexitpro@gmail.com
IMDB
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1981070/
Personal Site
www.douglasrowland.com
my site for fun
www.simplemindedstudios.com

Last edited:
Pick about 4 or 5 medium sized festivals in cities (LA and NY) where there's actually distributors who might frequent the festivals. Examples: San Fernando Film Festival, CineVegas, Long Island Film Festival, Malibu Int Film Fest, New Jersey Film Fest. The movie should promote itself. Have a great looking poster and cover art.

If you want distribution and don't care if you'll see any money go to BRAIN DAMAGE. They will sign absolutely anything in the horror genre.

However, just know that if you've made a really good, well acted movie, it will be lost amid a bunch of really awful hack jobs.

In festivals that have judging (other than audience awards) the
judges watch every film in the festival. So no amount of
advertising or promotion will help.

You will find that very few filmmaker go see the movies of their
fellow filmmakers. They will drum up a lot of friends to see their
movie and then not watch any other films. But there will be fliers
and posters all over the place.

And unless your movie gets into the top ten, distributors won’t go
to the festival to see it.

The good distributors are:
Lions Gate
First Look
IFC Films
Paradigm
Strand
Weinstein

Welcome back, nextexitpro.

What have you been doing in the last 8 months? Entered any
festivals? Did you have good luck with fliers or did you try
something different? What distributors have you contacted since
February?
Weinstein closed down didnt it?
No. They are still distributing films.

no luck

We have only applied to one festival, but have been in talks with someone at sci fi channel. we are pitching them the idea of a pilot for a series based on the film.

Other than that we have sent it to some international distributors but haven't settled on a price yet. First time dealing with actual agents so it's a little interesting to say the least.

Back