Beginner Camera

Greetings,

I mentioned this in the welcome thread but realized maybe it would be easier to list here a portion of my question.

I want to just start out just doing random stuff, getting my feet wet i.e street shots, closeups, wideshots, people, traffic, skylines, times of day until I get used to what to expect when I need to adjust for my focus, shutter speed, lighting etc. etc.

I have about $1500 to spend on a camera, lenses, and microphone.

I really feel comfortable right now with mini dv and firewire. I have Adobe Cs4 master collection and a core 2 duo intel with firewire.

Am I limited with my budget right now? I am really interested in the Canon HV40, cost is reasonable and with 1080p, 24p mode, low .2 lux, firewire it would be a good buy. I do know that I will need a 35mm adapter and a red rock might be out of my budget($900) so maybe an adapter around $300-400?

Please give me your suggestions. I do however have an itch to pick up a used Canon XL H1s for around 3k, with its lenses and xlr hookups for sound, hd mini dv, it's really attractive to me but I dont know if it too far out of my range for starting up.

You don't NEED a 35mm adapter, the HV40 (or even HV30 used) is great to start things off. Get some nice shotgun mic like the Rode NTG2 + a boom and you should be well under your 1500.
With the rest of the money, you can get some nice lights and a decent tripod like the Velbon DV7000.

The Canon HV is not a bad place to start. I jumped right into a JVC HM100, and sometimes wished I would have started with a HV so I could have invested more money in sound and lighting. As far as the 35mm adapter you have other options other than Redrock that will save you some money:

1. Letus mini- $700.00 ( made for the HV's; comes with a flip; however when you step up to a camera with a bigger thread ring you might not be able to use this.)

2. Cine city 35mm adapter AKA "india 35mm adapter"

3. DIY- $150-$300. I have seen good images shot on DIY 35mm adapters ( visit this site for details
jetsetmodels.info)

The Canon XLH1 is a good camera. However, there are better cameras that you can get for that price such as the Panasonic HMC-150 which is tapeless and shoots 1080p, 2 things the XHA1 don't do. (XLH1 is about $7,000).

You should also consider DSLR's:

Panasonic DSLR GH1
shoots full HD
don't have to spend money on a 35mm adapter
cost $1200 w/ kit lens
Perfect for guys in your position. However, you can only record 30min. full HD files at a time.

Don't forget about your prime lens. 1 lens could cost you $200-$1500.

Once again, I think the Canon HV is a good starter camera.

Thanks for the replies.

I went ahead and checked out the Rode ntg2 shotgun mic and the Rode videomic for reasonable prices $259 and $169 respectively. But Heard that the HV 40 has a problem with turning off the on board audio.

In comparison, I think the XL H1s is definitely out of my range but what has given me a second look is the XH A1s. I have seen it hovering around the 2300 mark and even see it at 2100 now. Being loaded with manual controls and having the optional ability to run both onboard and two sep xlr inputs at the same time seems interesting.

So with the A1s, does that put me in a better position than having to spend more money down the road upgrading the HV40.

Thanks!

The XHA1 is a good camera. Lots more manual controls than HV40. It will take you out your $1500 range. You are faced with the decision must of us go through when starting off. You can either get a good camera, and neglect sound, or get a decent camera and have good sound. With your budget, some people tend to spend half on camera and half on sound. In the end, its your choice.

So with the A1s, does that put me in a better position than having to spend more money down the road upgrading the HV40.

Thanks!

I think you missed one of the zeros in the above comments. A1's run in the $3000-6000 range, the HV40's about $600 (note the additional ZERO in the A1 price ) :D

Tell you what... you buy an XH-A1, and Ill "upgrade" you to a HFS100, for free! :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously though, hows you search going? Have you made any decisions yet? Me, id advise you just burrow something for a few months.. make some moves, maybe youll hate it! Sound is important, but without a camera, well, you will NEVER make a movie... crappy or otherwise :P Heck, by an SD camcorder on CL for $60 and go "mess around"

There is so much more to movies than the camera. What will you DO with what you film? Do you plan on editing it? Special Effects? SD can be edited on just about any newish computer with great fast workflow, switch to AVHCD, and its starts to get REAL HARD on systems.. last years TOP of the line PC might not be good enough to do more than one video stream ... Ther are tips and tequniques that you will learn from this forum that will help you at every step of the way, but first if you want to make a move.. then make a movie.. it will suck, but you wil have made it.. the next will suck less.. (FYI, Im still in the "SUPER SUCK" mode and have only finished a few scenes of my first few projects.. )

The XL A1s is definitely out of my range but I came across a guy that is selling an XH A1s and says its in excellent shape. I can get it sent 2day for 2050.

It has all the features that I think I would feel comfortable with. Mini dv, firewire, xlr hookups and good ratings. Just wonder if I would outgrow an upgraded HV40 after a dozen student films and a handful of shorts? If that is a common occurrence, do I get the green light on the XH A1s?

Its a craigslist sale so I have to be very cautious. I'll set up a paypal sale with an invoice/receipt first.

Btw, I have been also looking into lighting, mic and booms, tripod.

Back