Funding for a Zombie Short

Would anyone know how to go about funding a short, of say, perhaps a half-hour, at the most? My producer states that it will take at least $20,000 to do a zombie short film properly, including paying the crew, catering, location costs (we are only using 3 and 2 of those are FREE), equipment, etc. I have a contact who knows a lot of private investors, but they are iffy where horror films are concerned. I'm just the writer and have been told not to worry about funding, but I don't want to see this project go down the drain like one I worked on in 2006/2007 (due to a talker who didn't know what he was doing and who's even now working on a shoot where the actors keep bailing ship).

Personally, I can't see having ever spent that kind of money on shorts. I've made over forty shorts and two features (working on my third) and I've never spent that on any of the previous projects until now. The best part is that I was still able to learn what I needed to, and now I'm doing a $500,000 feature. So save your money and do the shorts for as little as possible. Don't spend other people's money until you can make it back.

If the producer is putting together the funding then he
is right. Don't worry about it. When he raises the $20,000
then you can start shooting. Until then, it's technically the
producers responsibility.

Are you worried that this producer is just "a talker" like the
last one? You've been burned once, so it's wise to keep your
guard up and your B.S. meter set on high. If this producer
tells you not to worry about funding and then does nothing;
it's time to worry. Until that happens watch closely, but give
the benefit of the doubt. Do you trust the producer?

What does your contact who knows a lot of investors tell you?
A person who knows a lot of investors is the best person to
ask about how to get funding.

Thanks

Hi, thanks for the advice. I trust this producer, but he's done only shorts and apparently they took money to make. Of course, he's in the UK and maybe they do things a bit differently than over here. He wants to pay the crew, for one. I've been told I can do this for less than $1000, just pay the SFX guy, feed everyone
and pay for the location (we're using a very, very remote campsite & will need to pay for use of a generator
as well). I am once-bitten, twice-shy, but this guy does have credentials/references and is listed with IMDb,
unlike the previous guy. My contact's investors will only want to fund a feature film, and some of them want
'A-list' talent, at least one, in a major role. I doubt they'll fund a short.

That's typical. Investors are looking for a return. They know
there isn't a likely return on a short made for $20,000.

Both the numbers seem right to me. 20 large when paying
everyone - $1,000 when paying no one. Though on a remote
location with a genny and covering food, travel and makeup
efx, I think a grand is really, really low. I was in makeup efx
for years - I specialized in zombies - and it would be easy to
spend that on supplies.

It good you have a producer you trust. Is he finding the financing
or is expecting you to find it?

Nobody finances a short except friends, family, and credit cards.

Yep, a short film has no commercial potential (or almost none), why in the world would somebody invest when they are 99.9% sure they will get no return. The reason to make shorts is to hone your craft, and build a resume so that eventually you can convince some suckers.. eerr investors to put up the money for a feature (which does have commercial potential).

That's typical. Investors are looking for a return. They know
there isn't a likely return on a short made for $20,000.

Both the numbers seem right to me. 20 large when paying
everyone - $1,000 when paying no one. Though on a remote
location with a genny and covering food, travel and makeup
efx, I think a grand is really, really low. I was in makeup efx
for years - I specialized in zombies - and it would be easy to
spend that on supplies.

It good you have a producer you trust. Is he finding the financing
or is expecting you to find it?

I typically expect to spend $1000 a shooting day MINIMUM, and that's if I'm only paying key technical people.

There are "Zombie Walks", why not attend one of those (generally a week before Halloween) and grab some footage, legal issues aside that would be pretty cheap.

Back