It happened again...

So again I took on a project in which I would be gaffer. It was for no pay because

1.) I need the experience
2.) It seemed like a great project to work on
3.) I enjoy doing it

Back to my point. After several weekends of work and lots of travel we got the project completed. Well I just got to watch a trailer for the film and guess what? I counted 4 different shots with light kits in them. I even made sure to ask before nearly each shot if it looks good and are my lights in the way. I was assured they weren't. Does anyone have any tips and how I can keep this from happening in the future? As a gaffer I am not the one shooting the actual piece, so I don't get the final view. Does anyone else seem to have this problem? Thanks in advance for any tips that anyone may have.

This is not your problem. Issues like this are best avoided with a video tap on set, which is a monitor that displays what the camera is seeing. Multiple people use the video tap from the camera dept., to 1st AD, and script supervisor. As the gaffer you could even check it yourself, but it was not your problem. The DP should have caught it in the viewfinder.

Good point. There was even a video monitor on set that the DP didn't want to plug in. He said he found it "restrictive". Very frustrating. I think it comes from a lack of experience on his part maybe? Thanks for responding.

Good point. There was even a video monitor on set that the DP didn't want to plug in. He said he found it "restrictive". Very frustrating. I think it comes from a lack of experience on his part maybe? Thanks for responding.
There's the problem. Now you can only blame the DP. The tap should have been set up, the more eyes the better. Sounds like he was self-conscious of his shooting.

However, the DP should have caught it in the viewfinder.

...and the director should have caught it during the takes. And the editors should have caught it during post.

Inexcusable, but I don't know of a way for a gaffer to prevent it without doing someone else's job.

Right, the director should have had the tap set up, even if the DP said no. The tap is not for the DP his eye needs to be on the camera. Strange request from the DP. All the blame falls on him now.

I'm a idiot and I know it. But, there is not one shot on anything I've ever done where a light or pole was showing. What were these people looking at? Moreover, they left it in the trailer.

Honestly, that shows a level of uncaring that nothing you could have done or said would have made a difference.

But, if you're in Jersey and want to do another project for free. Let me know. I'll pay transportation and food. Plus a copy of the movie when it's done.

There was even a video monitor on set that the DP didn't want to plug in. He said he found it "restrictive".

Er...wouldn't it be more "restrictive" to not have the video monitor plugged in?

I have a standard-def MiniDV consumer camcorder (I gotta start out somewhere!), and there's been times where I've wished I could connect it to an external monitor to better see what was going on. But since it's a consumer camcorder and I don't have the funds...well, that's impossible. But when I do upgrade to a camera that supports an external video monitor, I'll buy one. They're most certainly not restrictive, in any way.

To repeat what everyone else said...
It's completely the DP's fault for failing to see the light kits in the shots. Everyone who saw the raw footage should have caught it as well. Perhaps they did and just didn't want to have to re-shoot everything? If that's the case, then they're all just lazy (and too cheap).

Last edited:
Actually, Brooksy, I should've addressed my comment to you, as well. Threads like this make me yearn to work with people like those on this forum who not only know what you're doing, but also give a crap about making the best movie possible.

Just gotta get outta this little town, I guess.

It's not your fault in the least bit. You shouldn't even have to ask if they are in frame, the DP or Director or AC or Script Sup. should say something. They sound like amatures and that's all.

there are talented people everywhere. You just have to somehow meet up with them.

I don't even care if they're talented, just dedicated. Typical scenario for one of my projects:

I announce I'm doing a movie. Everybody gets excited (I have many friends in the theatre community) and wants to be involved.

First day of shooting arrives, I've got a big crew. Everybody works hard for 8-10 hours. Wait...you mean there's work involved in making movies??? And it's not done yet???

Second day, fewer people show up. No phone call, nothing. Good news is, everybody else has all the catering/craft services they can eat! End of day two it starts: "I can't make it tomorrow. Gotta take my dog/cat/mother-in-law to the vet. Don't know when I'll be available again; maybe couple weeks."

By the end of the week it's just the die-hards: all three of us. And there's only another 20 days to go!

When it's done and out there, I'm approached by tons of people who say, "Gee, I'd love to help on your next one!" I have to restrain myself from cracking up.

Bottom line is, you need people who know what they're signing up for and are okay with it. In a tiny town (pop. 10,000) people haven't the faintest clue, no matter how earnestly I try to prepare them.

Whining. Sorry!

In potential related news: I noted that on my little camera there is a setting to show the "entire frame" maybe, if the stuff is just barley in the frame, then the DP never SAW the junk.. I'm trying to be nice here..

Sigh...I wish.

Alone in my dark studio doing FX and color grading (I really dislike post; much prefer working in the field with actors). Also heading to LA next week so gotta get prepped for that.

Thanks for asking.

Brooksy, That falls on the head of the DP and/or camera op. Not much you can do about it.
I would not work with them again. Why let them trash your name. I would also ask that they
take my name out of the credits.

Terry

Back