Should I Let My Actors and Actresses Get To Know Each Other Before Shooting?

This saturday is going to be my first time shooting with people I don't really know (casted them from auditions), and that don't know each other. So I was wondering if it would be a good idea to let every one get acquainted with one another before the shooting begins at an Ihop or something.

Has anyone done this before, or should I just let them meet on the day of shooting? I'm doing all rehearsal's on the day of, would that be okay for them to feel comfortable with one another?

Shooting on hi8 so I've got a lot of tape to burn.

Last edited:
It can't hurt to bring them together before hand...well...that's not entirely true, but if you're dealing with professional, mature individuals, having a meet and greet before hand can be a good thing.

Truly professsional, experienced actors won't need that time to create an heir of comfort...and if the chemistry is going to be there, it's going to be there...if it's not, it's not no matter what you do.

The only thing you want to watch out for (rare but possible) are your actors getting intimate or personal before filming starts, and then breaking up and causing a major issue on set...it's rare...but it can happen. Just be aware and prepared.

Take it easy.

We typically have a pre-production meeting in the back room of the local Denny's. We go around the table, introduce ourselves, have a read through, discuss everyone's job and what we expect from them, etc.

Every now and then actors who are to play couples (or sexually active partners) will get together for a coffee or a drink before the film and get comfortable with one another. This can be a good thing if both actors are professional and mean business...however, sadly the truth is many people out there (especially guys) get into the 'biz' to hook up...and they use these roles to get lucky...

So just watch out, and be aware...

I think it's a good idea. I had 2 mandatory table reads at my house before I shot GT. Then once everyone got to the location, they were comfortable about it.

Talk to the females, let them know you're professional and that you won't allow any misbehavior.

I made it clear to all males that they would behave accordingly or be dismissed. One of the first things the females did is thank me for that and not making them sleep with me to get their roles.

Back