• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Copyright free clips?

NOTE this is not an ad so I can't post it on the ad forum.

Ok, I couldn't find any sub-forum which would suit my question, which is..

As an aspiring film/TV/ads/game composer I'm looking for copyright free video material in which there is no music or the music can be removed and re-scored. I need to show people in the industry that I can do this but having no video material to work with I can only make an audio show reel which is not good enough.

I would love to take, say, Lord of the Rings, remove the music (keep fx, dialogue) and re-score parts of it and showcase that, but I can't because 1) it's not technically possible 2) I'd face copyright issues.

So I'd need some kind of somewhat decent video clips sans music which I could write music to, display these on my website and thence get people interested.

I have scored one short and two tiny game musics, but I need more material to make a show reel.

What'd you suggest I do? Can I just search the web for copyright free videos, remove the music, re-score them and display them? I could ad myself here and elsewhere but no director will get interested in if I don't have hardly any prior video material to show with. That's why I posted this - an ad would not (yet) be useful.

Thank you for any input,
Miika (aka Aural Night)
Finland
www.auralnight.com

Last edited:
Look in the Prelinger Archives, over at Archive.org. Much of the material in there is public domain.

Many people re-score existing video material for reel purposes, btw.

Wow, thank you! This is nice. Any other ideas?? Btw is the Prelinger section there at archive.org the only copyright free section or are there others?

The problem still exists that if I download a copyright free video and remove audio from it, I also remove any sounds or dialogue (ok wasn't going to score much over any dialogue anyway), it's hardly possible to just remove the music I guess. Of course I could pursue this at a composers' forum but I really like to get the video guys' opinion too. Well..I could make the sounds too, but that is a lot of tinkering and takes a long time. Also many of the Prelinger videos seem to be from the 1930's or 1940's, these seem hardly relevant for re-scoring purposes in 2010.

Last edited:
Back