• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sound equipment?

I'm trying to round up some sound equipment. I'm filming with a Canon XH-A1 and I am wondering what boom mic to get. what other things will i need, if i buy a mic that mounts to the camera can i use that on a boom?

I like filmmaking, I don't like shopping! I just don't like searching all over and comparing prices. It's exausting.
That is the essence of being a filmmaker - you have to "shop" for the right script, "shop" for the right talent on both sides of the camera , "shop" for your locations, "shop" for distribution... you get the idea? You're going to sacrifice one of the most important aspects of your craft because you don't like shopping?

You also have to do your own research and formulate your own opinions. I could tell you exactly what to get and what to do. But am I the next big thing in audio post/sound design three steps away from an Oscar, or am I just another pathetic wannabe who can talk the talk but has never taken one step on that path? How do you really know? That is why you must perform your due diligence. You search the 'net, read and participate in the forums, network face-to-face with other members of the filmmaking community, work on projects besides your own, read books. The better, reputable vendors have "sales favorites" listed on their sites; do the research and find out why they are favorites. Are they quality products or are they popular because they're cheap/inexpensive. What to do the professionals use? Why do they use them? You may not be able to afford what they are using right now, but it is important to know what features they value and why them value them as there may be a product that is just a little more expensive that will provide you with more powerful creative options.

And get used to being exhausted; that is another aspect of being a filmmaker. You are going to have endless weeks of 20 hour days, most of which will be filled with things that are not the "fun" side of filmmaking - budgeting, scheduling, management, mediation - all squeezed into odd in-between moments while you are in preproduction, shooting or in post.

You want to hear about shopping? I spent last weekend combing Good Will, Salvation Army and similar stores looking for shoes (as well as other items) for Foley work. As long as they fit on my feet it doesn't matter what they look like, it matters what they sound like. And you have no idea the kinds of looks I get when I'm trying on ladies high heels and pumps. I've also spent dozens of hours preparing for my next software upgrade - compatibility, pricing, prep time, studio down-time...

So if you're looking for sympathy you've come to the wrong guy. I've worked my tail off for close to 40 years and earned every single dime of my own money. I'm currently working 16 hour days and still manage to cram in some time for my wife and kids. And before I get some snide comment about "well what are you doing on the 'net when you claim you're working" the fact is that I'm waiting for a download of some audio files to come into my system. BTW, you'll notice that the bulk of my posts are after 2am before I get to bed or early afternoon when I'm waiting for clients to arrive.

I am now going to close up shop for the day. A couple of friends are coming over and we're going to enjoy a well-deserved evening watching the Stupid, I mean, Super Bowl.

you got me all wrong. I didn't find my answers on this site so I looked on another site. whats ungrateful about that?
and Alcove Audio assumed that I do this for a living, when it is merely a Hobby. I don't need the "well back in my day we did it this way" speech. So instead of simply answering my question, I get a 6 paragraph essay that might be useful to somebody who is going for a cereer in filmmaking. But this all could have been resolved if someone actually opted to answer my original question. But Hey, I guess that's too much to ask. My bad!

Last edited:
Folks, lets nip the back-and-forth in the bud. aburke09 has already been warned and has revised his original response to Alcove. Whether he is grateful or not or found his answers here or elsewhere is not the within the scope of the original post.

Alcove provided but one possible answer to the original post; there are other members that still may wish to answer differently.

Last edited:
aburke09,
What did you end up getting? Post back with some reviews and your thoughts about the equipment.

My self Im trying to re tasks some of my home recording equipment for audio in film, though power is the problem.. seems nothing I own will work on batteries so I have to figure that out. Though, interestingly, some of my equipment work on wall warts so I might be able to come up with a viable portable power options with the help of one of these electronic geeks around my work place!

Back