Tripod?

I'm looking for a tripod to pair with my canon t1i (that i use for both photography and video).

What are the real differences between a $12 tripod and a$1200 tripod?

What kind of features should i be looking for?

Mostly the head, height, materials. I would look for one with a fluid head on it and a bubble level. You don't notice what it is like having a good tripod til you actually get to use one. They can add a lot of production value. Other opinions?

Yes, you need a good sturdy tripod with a fluid head (or gear head, but those are prohibitively expensive for most people).

However, there are budget options available. My tripod was just under $200, but is comparable to a $500-600 manfroto.. I've got an e-Image EI717, they're available on ebay for cheap, and I really can't recommend them enough for the quality you get at the low price point. In fact, I just did a quick search, and there's a seller with a 100% positive feedback rating selling these for about $150 including shipping. I know I paid at least $180 without shipping a few years ago.

good tips, thanks.

can anyone vouge for a tripod dolly? or would a steady cam of some sorts be better for camera movement? or is it really just up to preference?

edit: i guess the real question is, if i chose to have a dolly shot, is using a tripod dolly a practical solution? as much as any other dolly solution may be?

Last edited:
Dolly shots and steadicam shots are completely different things. The only way they are at all similar is that they involve a camera in motion.

Tripod dollies (assuming we're both thinking of the same thing, wheels on a spreader) are meant for moving a tripod around, but not during a shot.

Just build a track dolly.. it's under $100 in parts, easy to do, and totally worth adding to your arsenal. :)

A good tripod is worth its weight in gold. You want smooth pans, and tilts right? Smooth, fluid, non-jumpy or jittery, and you don't want the head stripping or tilting down with a heavy camera when it is supposed to be locked. I like Sachtler but they are expensive. If you want to spend around $800 you can get their cheaper one which is probably the only tripod you will ever need or buy.

Google skateboard dolly and you'll see plenty of cheap DIY dollies.

:/ i'm still a n00b at some of this stuff. but that's what i meant to say in the edit, so at least i corrected myself this time!

You want smooth pans, and tilts right? Smooth, fluid, non-jumpy or jittery,

actually, every time i see pans or steady cam shots or whatever, i think about how i wish i could have get like a super steady hand held shot, without necessariy being handheld.

but regardless, i think i'm just going to get the cheaper one recommended to me by mr will vincent. i probably wont be using it too much anyway.

:)

So far Iv stayed away from camera movement.. It scares me!
Every time I pan, it looks like a robot is working the head! I think a PVC dolly is more my style and seems like it would be a lot of fun to make.

Also, a dolly is one of those things that will do double duty.

One platform will be for my camera, the other.. home made roller coaster! My kids will LOVE IT! :)

Steadicam is for walking and running, but if you move slow and sort of glide along you can get some good shots with no stabilizer... if you have a steady hand.

Back