Advice on purchasing camera

I'm looking to purchase a prosumer camcorder (or maybe a DSLR). I know there's tons of posts on this so I'll be specific about what I'm looking for to avoid redundancy.

Budget: up to $4000.
This includes any lens and tapes/cards I need to use it effectively. I've already acquired/budgeted for support, sound, lighting, editing, etc. I could make adjustments though if someone convinces me.

Considering: XH A1, HMC150, XL H1 (used), HVX200 (used), 5D Mark II, but open to suggestions.
I've watched probably a hundred videos of these cameras online, but it's impossible to tell how much is the quality of the camera vs. the skill of the operator.

My intended use for the camera is narrative and documentary film to be displayed primarily on the web for now. Since narrative film is the main use, 24p is a must and the ability to create shallow DOF would be great (I know the 5D is awesome but it can't be the only camera you can get that with as long as you know how to manipulate the iris, shutter speed, etc.) Given that I'm not counting on my work to be blown up on a huge hdtv or the silver screen, sharpness isn't as important to me a color (this make sense, right?).

It's also important to get a camera that I can learn with. I'm less interested in one which shoots fine by itself but doesn't offer a lot of real manual control either during production (I'm skeptical about panasonic's iris 'knob' and about the 5D) or post-production (I've read the 5D lacks enough color info to seriously play around with in post.) Interchangable lens would be great for this reason and others, but the cost can add up quickly. It would also be nice if the camera was forgiving about lighting. I'm more concerned with too much in one area than too little overall.

Audio quality is irrelevant. I'll be using a portable audio recorder.

Tape vs. P2 is a concern, but as long as I don't plan on shooting more than 4 hours of footage a day, I shouldn't need to worry about offloading, right?

Lastly, I'd like to mount the camera on a Merlin. They should all work except for the XL H1 which is too heavy, but maybe someone can warn me about trying to use the 5D on one.

I've watched probably a hundred videos of these cameras online, but it's impossible to tell how much is the quality of the camera vs. the skill of the operator.

A LOT of it is the skill of the operator, AND the skill of the lighting designer (when applicable). There are many craftspersons on this board who could take any of those cameras and give you outstanding images.

Having said that, I personally own the XH-A1 and have had beautiful results from it. With my previous cameras, I've worked like hell to light shots only to have them come out looking so-so. With the A1, no matter how badly I screw up, it still comes out looking good.

My 2 cents.

Since narrative film is the main use, 24p is a must and the ability to create shallow DOF would be great (I know the 5D is awesome but it can't be the only camera you can get that with as long as you know how to manipulate the iris, shutter speed, etc.)

DOF is a function of aperture and sensor size. No sub-$5K camera is going to have a sensor as big as the 5D, or even the 7D. The closest will be the Scarlett, if that ever comes out. The 7D currently provides the best image quality/largest sensor/cheapest price of any product on the market, save for maybe the GH1.

Also, the 5D does not yet support 24p, but the 7D does, if that's important to you. Supposedly a firmware update for the 5D is coming this year that will add this capability, but it's not out yet.

The other option is to get a sub-$2K camera and a 35mm adapter, like the Redrock Micro. This can be cumbersome for narrative filmmaking, but will give you much more flexibility and options when it comes documentary/event work. I would NOT recommend the 5D or 7D for event work.

Everyone seems to love or hate the DSLRs. The videos I've seen have been amazing but they've been still shots. My worry is that if I put them on a Merlin and do a lot of moving camera work, the jello effect will ruin all the shots. Then, there's the aliasing issue too. It seems like they aren't as versatile as traditional video camera.

Someone on a different board recommended the new Sony HXR-NX5U NXCAM. Any thoughts on this one? All i know is the specs.

Everyone seems to love or hate the DSLRs. The videos I've seen have been amazing but they've been still shots. My worry is that if I put them on a Merlin and do a lot of moving camera work, the jello effect will ruin all the shots. Then, there's the aliasing issue too. It seems like they aren't as versatile as traditional video camera.

We shot our short film and paid almost no heed to jello cam or aliasing and had no problems at all.

You can see it at: http://vimeo.com/8145618

There are moving shots and a shot or two of hand held. We shot the film we wanted to make and the 7D served us very, very well.

Beeblebrox, did you record the audio to a separate unit or did you use the 7D's mic jack? I'm very interested in the 7D as a potential camera (or possibly the Vixia HF S100) and would like to know what your recommendations are. Did you use any lenses for that film too?

Beeblebrox, did you record the audio to a separate unit or did you use the 7D's mic jack? I'm very interested in the 7D as a potential camera (or possibly the Vixia HF S100) and would like to know what your recommendations are. Did you use any lenses for that film too?

We recorded to a Zoom H4N.

And yes, we used lenses. How else would we shoot with the camera? ;)

I'm going to go with either the 5D or the 7D. I'll wait a month to see if that firmware update is released before making a decision.

Does the zoom H4n record at line level or only at mic level for the XLR inputs?

Back