First Distribution Check

It's the COOLEST thing!

I played in a band for years, and never made any money. The first $20 I made playing live is in a frame along with the flyer from the gig.

I've sold some copies of Us Sinners at my site, a few on e-bay, and originally through createspace/amazon.

But, today I got my first real distribution check. I haven't sold many copies at all through the distributor. But, the check pretty much covers the cost of pressing the DVDs.

So COOL!

Being as broke as I am, it'll come in handy.

I know how hard I worked making the movie. What a pain in the ass the whole distribution thing worked (problems, problems). But, to finally see something for the work is really nice. I've sold copies by myself and that's ten bucks here and there. Which I piss away on CDs or something else really stupid.

If I can talk my wife into it, I'd like to take this check and put it on the side for my next project. That's a way to get something new done.

Thanks everyone, and yes it does feel good. I actually made a photocopy to keep.

Now, I'm begging for donations to start my next project. It's tough when you've been self reliant your whole life.

It's a sub-distributor, Victory Multimedia.

Here's basically how it works.

They sign you. YOU do ALL the work. Make the one-sheet, get out publicity, create the DVDs, handle the s/h. You do EVERYTHING.

But, you keep most of the money. This check basically covered all my expenses with them. The big plus is this is the company that Netflix sends you to if they're interested in carrying your movie. If getting your movie into Netflix is your goal, then they are definitely worthwhile to speak to.

I know people who signed with other distributors. Their movie has foreign distribution, has sold thousands of copies and they haven't seen a dime. I've made back most of my money on a fraction of the DVDs I had made.

So, if you have $1300 to invest, get in touch with them. Just don't mention my name, we're not the best of friends. That's a whole other story.

NATIONWIDE in Texas is a great, friendly and cheap place to have real DVDs created. 1000 DVDs (completely professional/w full color sleeve) cost me basically $1200, that included S/H and as a promotion I received 300 11x 17 full color posters for free. With Victory you have to send DVDs not DVD-Rs. If you send a DVD-R they'll charge you back $10 per copy.

I'm a get the best product for cheapest kind of guy.

FilmBaby supplies NetFlix too.

Has Victory actually shipped any of your product to Best Buy, Fry's, or other retailers? In any significant numbers?

No. As a matter of fact, they ship nothing. I do the shipping/handling everything. They're the go-between. It's a sweet deal for them. But, they have something I needed. The contacts.

If I shipped any kind of quantity to anywhere I'd make a tidy sum. If I were able to sell all my remaining DVDs I'd make back all the money I spent on making the movie. Plus, I have the camera and equipment which I would have then gotten for free. It all takes time.

There's enough people who really enjoyed Us Sinners, that I believe it will one day get some recognition. The main part is the acting is very good for a micro-budget production.

BTW: Here's a link to a new review and interview I did. The thing that got me about this guy's review, he nailed the opening properly which most people don't. It's a new site, and can use some traffic. Also, if you have a movie, I'm sure he'd like to see it.

http://www.drgoremans.com/UsSinnersReview.html

http://www.drgoremans.com/GeorgeSnowInterview.html

Last edited:
Have you been paid recently by Victory Multimedia?

Have you been recently paid by Victory Multimedia? I haven't. I'd like to hear from others having payment issues.

I am preparing to sue them.

Since you're responsible for all the dirty work of making DVD copies and boxes then performing the S&H while VM handles the "distribution" <cough, cough>... er, contacts aspect, if at all possible would it be prudent to stick a promo trailer for your next gig in the soon-to-be-released pipe onto whatever current product you have going out?
Assuming you/I/we had multiple projects going back-to-back, of course.

(Grammar nazis please don't flag me for a run on sentence. H&Ks).

Yes, me too, many others out there, I have some ideas, like contacting a news agency and exposing there corrupt tactics. The more people the better our chances-spread the word. Check
facebook, I will be starting a "stay away from Victory Multimedia" page.

Back