10 grand bang for my buck

I have about 10 grand in my equiptment budget. I own a HM100u. I want to shoot HD movies. Should I spend money on a new camcorder with a bigger sensor, such as ex3, or should I buy a letus, lighting, sound and maybe a GH1 for a B camera. What would you do?

May I ask why you want to purchase everything? The half-life of most video gear is about 18 months or less; in other words, 18 months after you purchase the camera it will be worth half or less what you paid for it. All of the "accessories" like the tripod, light stands, etc. hasn't changed much in 50 years so will always be of use and would be the better investment. Audio gear - with the exception of the recorder - will hold on to it's resale value for quite a long time provided, of course, that you buy quality.

It would be a help if you delineate exactly what your goals are. You could shoot a great short for a quarter to half of that money. Pay a modest stipend plus expenses to the cast and crew, and hire a professional DP and sound crew, many of whom will have their own gear, and rent the rest. Then treat them all really well on the set. Preproduce down to the last detail and the shoot should come off on time and on budget with only minor problems. Budget some funds to have professionals do the sound & visual editing, the color correction, etc. and you will have a festival ready masterpiece. If you can find the right people and budget carefully you could even do a feature on that budget.

If your goal is to be a production company then you should at the least add another zero to your budget.

I guess all I'm suggesting is that you think through your goals and aspirations. So think it through carefully.

Just my two ducats...

Back