Ex1 Ex3 or HVX200?

I cant decide. I loved the results i got from the hvx200 but the cards are expensive. Can someone with experience, tell me how the EX1 or EX3 perform?

Hope this helps -- I have done a lot of research, talked to people who have worked with various tapeless cameras and the Sony EX-3 is where I am going as soon as I sell all my DVcam cameras and current editing system. Working in HQ setting at 35 bps is the way to go with Final Cut Pro. Quality of image tops many cameras that are 4X more in price. The cards are far cheaper and hold more higher quality image than the P2's do. I like working with multiple cameras for many reasons (most are obvious) and the consistency of image and size of camera is a major plus. A bit pricey, but Vortex Media (I have no connections with the company) has a good DVD out there explaining the camera and what it can do. Too bad it is not in BluRay for visual comparisons with other top cameras.
Also think about how you will edit HQ footage and maintain files. Hard drives are dropping in price.
As for me, I expect to have my 2 EX-3 (s) by early summer (and paid off, thank you very much) with 4 32GB cards and my wife's MacBook Pro for dropping files. Also I should add that I already have a ProMac with a very large mem (22 GB) and 4 large hard drives (3.25 TB) -- which you should have for working with the PMW EX-3.

I love love love love the Panasonic HVX200, especially the 200A, but in my opinion there is no comparison to the Sony EX3. I agree, hands down Sony EX3 wins.

Differences to consider ->

The Panasonic HVX200 uses CCD chips, and both Sony's use CMOS. There are certain minor, but definitely notable issues with CMOS sensors with how they deal with flashes of light and horizontal fast camera moves.

HVX200 is 720P (1280x720) versus the Sony's 1080P (1920x1080), so Sony has higher resolution and you can adjust the bit rates and frame rates on the Sony.

When you go for the EX1 or EX3 make sure to get a Tiffen T1 far red filter, since these camera's have a 'far red issue'. They record 'far red', which is invisible to the human eye, but it can mess up black fabrics in the image (black dress becoming brownisch, etc). 2 Years ago when the EX1 was still very new I rented one for a 1-minute (I had to use the composite connection to load the video, because the fileformat wasn't supported in Premiere Pro2) and the darker scene in the pub looked indeed browner than expected. Only recently I read about the far red problem; that might explain the colors in that scene.
Besides that and some possible improvements (slow startup, no SD) I thought it was a good camera (great lens, love the over and undercranking options), but at the time too expensive (SxS memory! With the arrival of SxS-1 and the SDHC-adapters it has become a lot cheaper) for me and a new camera wasn't necessary yet.

Having said that... I've been looking for a new camera for a while. I didn't consider the EX1 and EX3 a real candidate (no SD! EX3 only SEMI-shoulder). I was really considering a HVX201 (SD and HD, intraframe compression, 4:2:2 recording, overcranking to 50frames on 720p), but DVCPro HD isn't squarepixel HD. (Which isn't a real issue yet, but I expect a general shift to blu-ray next 2 years)
But now the EX1R has arrived I made up my mind... EX1R it is. (full HD squarepixel, HD SDI so 4:2:2 intraframe can be acquired with external devices, both SD and HD recording are possible and the startup is said to be a lot quicker).
Hopefully I will get the camera soon :yes:

Maybe you can also consider the HVX-170: SD and HD, DVCPro 50, DVCPRO HD, AVCHD Pro 100 (which is full 1920x1080, but I don't know what chip the camera has) and HD SDI output, but P2 is still expensive (even the E-series). A GB P2 is around the same price as 1 GB SxS, but you need 3 times more of it and there are no cheaper alternatives)

Good luck with choosing!

Back