looking for the best camera for $5000

If you can wait (for an uncertain about of time) I hear the new RED camera is priced around that... www.red.com

You're referring to the Scarlet of course.. problem is, by the time you get all the necessary accessories the price will be well above $5k, and the release date has been pushed back a number of times now, who knows when it'll be out.

directorik said:
JVC GY-HM100U - 1080p - 24p - Records to SDHC - three -1/4" CCD's
Now that's a nice camera.... and leaves plenty of money to spare from the $5k to get some audio gear, and maybe the start of a basic light kit

I'd agree with Mike & Will about the HM100u.

I'd also suggest maybe looking into the HVX200. It's better, but it's on the $5,000 line. If you can find a good deal on a used one, I'd suggest considering it.

You're referring to the Scarlet of course.. problem is, by the time you get all the necessary accessories the price will be well above $5k, and the release date has been pushed back a number of times now, who knows when it'll be out.

x2. :yes:

Don't count on any information in advance of the actual release of the Scarlet, or any RED product. They seem particularly prone to last minute changes, release delays, etc etc. Great stuff, but no sense waiting when no firm date is set.

i recently used the hvx200 for a portion of my own documentary. It was a stellar camera. If it wasnt for the lofty price on the p2 cards i would probably purchase one. Im going to take a look at the EX1 next. Im told that i could find one at the 5k mark.

I would hope that the $5000 camera isn't your whole budget for equipment. I would say try to save some money for audio gear as well, and lights if possible. Though maybe you can outsource those when the time comes.

Back