DSLRs for video (memory??)

I have no experience with this but with all of this talk about using a dslr to shoot film i am left with one question.
I assume that they record down to a flash stick of some sort and if that is the case....

wouldn't the memory fill up rather quickly if you record in HD? would it be annoying to keep changing the memory (not to mention those sticks probably are easy to drop and lose) or have they advanced enough in the science of memory sticks to only require 2 or 3 sticks for a full days recording??

It's a matter of arithmetic. The Canon 7D, which is the camera I have, takes up 4GB for every 12 minutes of video. With a 16GB card, that means about 48 minutes of total shooting time. For narrative filmmaking, that should be more than enough. With two cards on hand, I can't see you running out of space at all.

Last edited:
It's a matter of arithmetic. The Canon 7D, which is the camera I have, takes up 4GB for every 12 minutes of video. With a 16GB card, that means about 48 minutes of total shooting time. For narrative filmmaking, that should be more than enough. With two cards on hand, I can't see you running out of space at all.

with 96 minutes of available space, idk how you couldn't run out of space. unless your final cut is going to be like 10 minutes.

Back