New/Used SD/HD

Hi,

I've been reading this forum off and on for a while and it's been helpful and interesting. Now I'm ready to buy a camera.

Which would you rather work with for an indy project, Sony PD150 or a new Vixia HF S 11? I can get them for roughly the same price.

I'll be editing on Final Cut Express.

Please, share your wisdom :)

Tom

Last edited:
I now have only three DVcam cameras (at one time four, sold the DSR500). DSR 300 (a large camera that uses all tape sizes including large cassette PDV-184N tape), DSR 150 and the PD100a (only the small MiniDV/DVcam cassette tape) are all three-chip and all perform very nice. Heard different line numbers from different sources -- the DSR300 gets about 750 to 800 lines, the DSR150 about 520 to 560 and the PD100a about 520. At this time, I am selling all three -- not because they are not great cameras, but because of what I need a camera for has changed.

I have used all three cameras on single projects. When converted to standard DVD-R very little difference of image is noticed in final look (on DVD-R).

Of the three, the DSR 150 is the easiest camera to work with. Light weight and has quick controls. Picture quality is A+. All three cams take all weather conditions (rugged exterior), but you should protect (as with all cameras) your investment by protecting from the elements. Feel free to contact me with any specific questions. Happy to answer. You might also want to consider a DSR30 deck to add to your FCP setup.

Not familiar with Vixia HF S 11.

In the years I have had the DSR150, I have only had one repair. Sony charged $500.00 (their complete charge on all/or any repair) and Sony gave the camera a complete (like new) work over to match new specs. As with all DVcam equipment, must be repaired exclusively by Sony Pro Repair.

I always try to use a tripod -- it helps for DVcam is forgiving in most low light and slight out-of-focus situations if camera is steady. HD is not. The DSR was replaced by Sony with their DSR170. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Don. Your high opinion of the DSR 150 is consistent with what I've been reading.

The Vixia is very different:http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camcorders/canon-vixia-hf-s11/4505-6500_7-33765878.html HD, small, but allows quite a bit of control, including F-stop in aperture-priority mode.

I know it's a bit like comparing apples and oranges.

One thing I'm thinking is for documentary filming I can pass as a typical tourist with a Vixia, while pointing a DSR150 at people might scare them.

I'm excited to report that I got the PD150. $1400 Canadian. Includes wideangle lens attachment, rain coat, bag, one good battery and one aging battery. I think it was treated quite well since it came from a pro (whose clients now want HD). I saw where he works and it looks like he takes care of his stuff.

I'm looking forward to playing with it, getting comfortable and then eventually gathering some footage for the documentary I'd like to make ... but that probably belongs in another area of the forum. I do still need an external mic. I guess questions about that belong elsewhere too.

Cheers,
Tom

Back